Garlic flatbread recipe No Yeast. This easy garlic herb flatbread has no yeast, doesn’t need hours to rest, and has a secret ingredient- Aquafaba. Vegan Yeast-free Garlic Naan Recipe. No yogurt, no Tofu. Easily doubled.
Soft garlicky herb flatbreads make a great side with any meal, with soups, salads, dips, curries and more. This easy Garlic herb Flatbread has no yeast, doesn’t need hours to rest, and has a secret ingredient. Instead of non dairy yogurt, this flatbread uses aquafaba!
Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas or the viscous liquid remaining when you cook chickpeas at home. This viscous liquid has many uses like making eggless meringue, macarons, and used in many places instead of eggs/egg whites, as a binder for baking and more. Find out more about chickpea brine and all the amazing creations on Vegan Meringue Hits and Misses Facebook Group.
For this flatbread, aquafaba adds moisture, binding and the fluffyness. Make the dough for the flatbread, roll it out, grill or cook then brush with the herbed garlic butter mixture, done! You can also make these flatbreads into Garlic Naan. Press the garlic and cilantro into the rolled out flatbread along with nigella seeds, and then cook. Easy and ready within minutes. No yeast, no waiting for a hour for the dough to sit and rise.
You can make this bread with yeast, use 1 tsp active yeast or use this yeasted Garlic Naan. It takes me the same time to put the dough together for with or without yeast, so personally I prefer the with yeast bread. To make this bread gluten-free, use the gluten-free blend used for gluten-free Naan in my book, or use a gluten-free blend with gum like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
More flatbreads from the blog
- Spinach flatbread – Palak Paratha or Spinach Tortillas. Yeast-free
- Easy Wheat Flat bread – yeast-free
- Pita Bread – Yeasted
- High Protein Savory Herbed flatbread – Methi Thelpa – Yeast-free, can be GF
- Pumpkin rosemary flatbread – Yeast-free
- Sweet Potato gluten-free flatbread. yeast-free. GF
- Naan – Yeasted
Make the dough.
Roll it out into oval or circle.
Cook over a hot skillet, covered with a lid for the first side.
Brush garlic herb butter. Serve while hot.
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 to 3 large cloves of garlic minced or crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs, finely chopped. I used cilantro and dill. use any of parsley, tarragon, basil, rosemary, thyme
- 1 cup unbleached white flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt use less if your aquafaba is highly salted
- 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chopped herbs of choice
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 tbsp aquafaba chickpea water, thick viscous water from a can of chickpeas, or from home made chickpeas , or use non dairy yogurt.
- 2.5 tbsp non dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- a pinch of sugar omit if using sweetened non dairy milk
Melt vegan butter in a bowl or warm the olive oil. Mince or crush the garlic and mix in. Mix in half of the chopped herbs.
In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients until well combined. Mix in the herbs.
In a small bowl mix the non dairy milk and lemon juice. Add to the dry. Add aquafaba, oil and sugar to the dry. Mix well and knead for a minute. The dough will seem dry then start to get sticky as you keep kneading. Add a tsp or more flour if too sticky or a tsp non dairy milk if too dry. You want the dough to be somewhat sticky. Cover the bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Spray oil on the dough and knead for a few seconds to smooth out.
Divide dough into 3 parts. Roll each into a smooth ball. Flatten one, dust in flour and roll out into an oval or circle shape.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is evenly hot. Place the rolled out flatbread on it. Place a lid on the flatbread and cook for 2 minutes.
Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Place directly on the flame or grill to blacken, or continue to cook on the skillet until golden brown spots.
Place on a serving plate and immediately brush with garlic herbed butter. Sprinkle some herbs.
Repeat for all flatbreads. Store covered lightly in a kitchen towel over the counter for the day, or refrigerate for upto 4 days.
At step3 , after rolling out the flatbread. Spray water on the flatbread. Sprinkle minced garlic and herbs on the flatbread and press in. You can also sprinkle some nigella seeds and press in.
Place the flatbread with garlic side up on a hot skillet. Cover and cook as above. Once the flatbread is cooked, brush it with melted vegan butter or oil. Sprinkle more herbs/cilantro and store.
Nutritional values based on one serving
In other news
- Moby opens a vegan restaurant!
- Guinness is going vegan. The beer will no longer contain trace amounts of fish bladder
- Meet a former Pig farmer, who is now a vegan activist.