Easy Homemade Yeast-free Sweet Potato Vegan Gluten free flatbread. Sweet Potato flatbread w/ chickpea flour. Gluten free tortilla recipe. Gum-free Eggless Oat-free. Pin this Recipe.
After I posted easy and delicious savory Pumpkin rosemary flatbreads, many of you asked me for a gluten-free version, so here goes. These gluten-free flatbreads are adapted from my Gluten-free Rotis from my cookbook.
These flatbreads are easy to whip up, easy to roll out and do not break or tear! They are soft, not hard like crackers, and not dry like a board. They are yeast-free, gum-free, vegan and can be made grain-free with more chickpea flour instead of rice flour.
Use puree of sweet potato, pumpkin or other squash of choice. Use as tortillas, tacos, wraps or what not. Make larger flatbreads to make burritos. Yes, they fold all the way. Use other herbs or spics to use with other cuisines. Add cinnamon and sugar for sweeter flatbread. Add cumin seeds to use as a side Sweet Potato Roti with Indian curries and Dals. Make these vegan gluten free flatbreads.
Soft and easy and pliable. Use as Gluten-free Vegan Tortillas.
More flatbreads from the blog. Most of these can be made gluten-free using the method on this post
- Spinach flatbread – Palak Paratha or Spinach Tortillas. Yeast-free
- Easy Yeast-free Wheat Flat bread
- Pita Bread – Yeasted
- High Protein Savory Herbed flatbread – Methi Thelpa – Yeast-free
- Pumpkin rosemary flatbread – Yeast-free
- Naan – Yeasted
If you do make something from the blog, please do Pin or share and leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you!
Mix the sweet potato/squash puree + water + powdered psyllium husks. Let it sit for 5 minutes to gel up.
Whisk the flours and herbs together. Add to the bowl. Get your hands in there to make a not too sticky dough. Let the ough rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Divide dough into equal balls. using rice flour roll them out into flatbreads. Cover with a towel to keep them moist.
Heat a skillet. Cook the flatbreads on the skillet until both sides have golden brown spots.
You can also puff them up on the gas flame. Depending on how evenly the dough was kneaded and how evenly rolled out the flatbreads are, they will fully puff or puff in places.
Brush with vegan butter or oil and store.
Yeast-free Sweet Potato Vegan Gluten free flatbread
- 2 tbsp Psyllium Husk powdered
- 1/2 cup (122.5 g) sweet potato or pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp water
- Powder the psyllium husk in a blender/grinder and add to a bowl. Mix and warm the sweet potato puree + water until warm to touch (in a microwave or on stove top). Add to the bowl. Mix well with the psyllium and let sit for 5 minutes. The mixture will become a gel.
- In another bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients until well combined. Add the dry to the wet. Mix until well combined. Get your hands in there and press the flour into the gel. It will take about a minute for the dough to start coming together. It may seem too dry in the beginning. Mix and knead until the dough is well formed.
- Add in the oil and knead it in for a few seconds. Let the dough sit for 5 to 10 minutes, covered.
- Divide the dough into equal balls. Smooth out each piece into a ball with as smooth edges as possible using rice flour. Roll it out into a flatbread.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot, place the rolled out flatbread on the skillet. Cook for 20 to 35 seconds or until small bubbles start to appear. Flip and cook the other side until the bubbles start to get bigger.
- At thispoint, You can continue to cook it on the skillet until both sides have golden brown spots. Or you can place the flatbread over the flame. Move it every 2 to 4 seconds to puff and brown. Place flatbread in a kitchen towel. Brush vegan butter if needed. Cover and set aside.
- Store on the counter for the day or refrigerated for upto 3 days.
To make these grain-free, substitute rice flour with chickpea flour. Nutritional values based on one serving