One cannot have enough brownie recipes right. So here is another one that is simple and customizable! Add walnuts, other nuts or seeds. Add some fresh cranberries or a nut butter swirl on top before baking. Add crushed peppermint candy cane + peppermint extract instead of vanilla, or add candied ginger + gingerbread spices for holiday brownies and more.
Fudgy and fabulous. Make these this Sunday! These brownies get fudgier as they sit. The key to great brownies is knowing the bake time, which is dependent on your oven, pan used etc. Underbake whenever in doubt, as the brownies will set even if liquidy in the center, out of the oven as they cool. For gluten-free options, see the list of brownies below.
We’ve been having sleepless nights all week because Chewie, our pom is miserable with cough every hour. Fuzzy brain = not all clear recipe. 🙂
More brownies from the blog
- Vegan Pumpkin Brownies
- Gluten-free Brownies and Brownie Mix. GF
- Vegan Almond Butter Blondies with Chocolate Chips
- Vegan Brownie Mix in a Jar. Single Serve Brownie too. Vegan…
- Coconut Flour Brownies GF
Make the brownie batter and press it into a lined brownie pan. Bake, cool and see it vanish.
Add other nuts, cranberries, crushed peppermint candy cane, candied ginger+ gingerbread spices for variation.
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour or Spelt flour
- 1 tbsp starch like arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered/fine sugar 1-2 tbsp less for less sweet, I use ground raw sugar that I blend in a blender
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks or bar, more the merrier/fudgier
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso/coffee
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp vegan mini chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk really well. *Pulse the sugar and coconut sugar a few times in a blender to make a powder if needed and then mix in. Large granules in sugar might add a texture to the brownie.
- Heat the maple syrup and water in a pan or microwave until hot. Add the semi sweet chocolate and mix until all the chocolate melts and is smooth. Add the vanilla, coffee and oil and mix in.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to just about combined. It will be a stiff batter, stiffer as it gets cold. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts or other additions.
- Drop the mixture onto a parchment lined or greased or well floured brownie pan. Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula if needed. I used greased hands to move and press for an even thickness. Sprinkle any toppings if you like like chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, crushed candy cane and press in.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes. Check with a toothpick about an inch from the edge. The toothpick should not come out liquid. The center might come out liquid, which is ok. Do not over bake. Check every 2 minutes if adding more baking time.
- Cool for atleast 15 minutes if you can before moving them out of the dish. Slice and serve. To store, slice and store in a container with a lid on the counter for upto 2 days.
Add other nuts or seeds, cranberries, crushed candy cane, candied ginger + gingerbread spices for holiday brownies.
Nutritional values based on one serving