Hoisin Tofu Mushroom Stir Fry with homemade Hoisin Sauce. Easy 30 minute Weeknight Meal with crisped Tofu, golden crimini mushrooms, broccoli, peppers in from scratch Hoisin sauce. Serve over cooked grains. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Pin it for later.
When I haven’t already planned dinner, quick stir fries save the day. Some veggies, crisped tofu or chickpeas, sauce combinations and done. For today’s recipe, the Tofu is pressed to remove excess moisture by wrapping in a kitchen towel for 10-15 minutes, while you prep and chop. Cube the Tofu and crisp it up in a bit of oil. Saute the mushrooms, add other veggies like broccoli and peppers. Add the sauce ingredients and crisped tofu. Bring to a boil and done.
Hoisin sauce is a thick pungent sauce used for stir fries or grilling or as a dipping sauce. There are many vegan hoisin sauce brands available in the market which can be used directly in this stir fry as well. Some of the brand sauces contain artificial food colors or other fillers. I make my own quick hoisin sauce mixture which takes just a few minutes to get the ingredients together.
Use this hoisin sauce to make this Cashew tofu Stir fry. Other easy meals to try Thai Basil Fried Rice, Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce , Chickpea-Tofu and Asparagus curry, and Chickpeas in Turmeric Peanut Butter curry. All quick and easy.
The secret to a nice golden crisped Tofu is pressing it well enough to remove as much moisture as possible and using a good non stick skillet. I use my CuisineArt Green Gourmet skillet that is reserved for Tofu based stir fries. I don’t use this one or regular Indian veggie dishes that need a lot of stirring and long cooking times. There is just a bit of oil on the skillet in the video and the Tofu slides right off.
- 3 tbsp soy sauce use tamari to make gluten-free
- 1 tsp molasses
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter or almond butter
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- 14 oz tofu pressed and cubed
- 6 to 8 oz sliced crimini or white mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 to 1 cup other veggies
- 3/4 cup water divided
- 1 tsp cornstarch or other starch
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pressed tofu and cook until golden on most sides. 5 to 7 mins.
- Remove tofu from pan. Add mushrooms, garlic, a pinch of salt and pepper flakes and cook until golden on some sides. 6 to 8 mins.
- Add in the broccolini, peppers or other veggies and mix in.
- Add the sauce ingredients, 1/2 cup water and crisped tofu and mix in. Bring to a boil. use the spatula to mix the almond butter in. You can blend the ingredients before adding for easy mixing. You can also add a little miso for additional pungent flavor.
- Mix starch in the remaining 1/4 cup water and add to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce thickens. 3 to 4 mins. Taste and adjust salt, sweet, heat and mix in. Serve over cooked rice or other grains.
Press the Tofu:
Slice the Tofu slab into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place a kitchen towel on the counter, cover the kitchen towel with paper towels. Layer the tofu slices on one side of the kitchen towel. Fold the other side over the Tofu. Place heavy books or containers on top of the kitchen towel for 15 mins or longer. Or use a Tofu press.
Use premade hoisin sauce: Use 4 to 5 tbsp hoisin sauce and 2 tsp soy sauce in the recipe. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup water + cornstarch to thicken.
Nutritional information based on one serving