Spiced Chickpeas Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Buddha Bowl with Black Pepper Hummus. Amazing Flavors for any meal. Ready within 25 minutes. Vegan Gluten-free Grain-free Soy-free Recipe
Some days I want a good easy meal but don’t want to cook something elaborate unless also making for the blog. That however can become a deterrent if I had no particular plan for the day. Eventually I drop the idea and whip up something to taste (noting ingredients just in case) and eat up a portion. I debate whether I should take photos to put it on the blog and depending on the recipe it ends up here or not.
This bowl came about similarly. I wanted to eat cauliflower rice, so I made a variation of my Turmeric Lemon Rice. that got paired with some easy spiced chickpeas and carrots. A dollop of hummus that had been spiked with freshly crushed black pepper, and a bowlful of greens of choice makes a lovely meal. Make the entire bowl or parts of it. Just the chickpeas and Turmeric Cauliflower rice with a dash of lemon is amazing. Make some.
Cauliflower Rice is delicious simply spiced with turmeric and lemon. Black pepper boosts turmeric’s absorption and the flavor profile added to the hummus is amazing. Make hummus from scratch or use store bough or premade. Chickpeas and carrots are simply spiced with Moroccan spices. With premade hummus the meal comes together within 25 minutes. Serve the bowl with greens or lettuce and dash of lemon.
More Easy bowls … All Gluten-free and mostly Soy-free.
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa
- Moroccan Chickpea Cauliflower Bowl with herb dressing
- Shawarma Chickpeas, Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- Masala Chickpea bowl with creamy chickpea dressing.
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce
- Chickpea Aloo Chaat Bowl with Date Tamarind Chutney
- Chickpea Curry Bowl with spiced potatoes.
Chickpeas Turmeric Cauliflower Rice Black Pepper Hummus Bowl
Turmeric Cauliflower Rice:
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) small onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- a dash of cayenne
- a generous dash of lemon or lime juice
Spiced Chickpeas and carrots
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can chickpeas drained or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas or use lentils
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp corainder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- salt to taste depends on if the chickpeas are salted
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 3/4 cup (96 g) sliced carrots
Black Pepper Hummus
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can chickpeas drain, reserve water
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more freshly ground or crushed black pepper divided
Make the Cauliflower Rice:
- Grate the cauliflower or process in a food processor for a few seconds. I use a food processor.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook until translucent.
- Add turmeric and mix in for a few seconds.
- Add the riced cauliflower, salt and cayenne and mix in. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes. The cauliflower will steam and cook through. Add a good dash of lemon and fluff the mixture. Taste and adjust salt, lemon, heat. Cover and let sit for another minute or so before serving.
Make the spiced chickpeas + carrots:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas and spices and toss to coat. Cook for a minute. Add carrots and 2 tbsp water. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until carrots are cooked al dente. Add a dash of lemon if needed.
Make the hummus:
- Blend or process all the ingredients and 1/4 tsp black pepper until smooth. Add some reserved aquafaba(liquid from the can of chickpeas) if needed. Add aquafaba or water to half the batch to make thinner dressing like consistency. Taste and adjust salt, tang (lemon). Fold in the rest of the black pepper and use. Can be made ahead. Or use premade hummus and mix in black pepper to taste.
- Add a layer of baby spinach or other baby greens or lettuce to each bowl
- Add a good helping of the spiced chickpeas, turmeric cauliflower rice and hummus. Drizzle thinned hummus and/or lemon juice all over. Garnish with black pepper and cilantro. Add other chopped veggies like tomatoes, cucumber etc, or add some warmed pita. Serve.