Bring in the new year with this plentiful 1 Pot Black eyed pea and Sweet Potato Hash with Harissa Spice. Ready in 20 minutes. Serve over toast with a creamy dressing or avocado. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe.
2017 will be here in another day and we need some beans esp black eyed, sweet potato and spices! to bring it in. This sweet potato hash is super easy and comes together really quickly.
Sweet potatoes are cooked with onion and garlic in a skillet, then simply spiced with harissa and smoked paprika, tossed with greens and cooked black eyed peas. Pretty, hearty and wonderful. Serve the hash as a side or over toast topped with sriracha or avocado, fill up tacos, or make a buddha bowl with cooked grains like turmeric lemon rice and a dressing or lemon juice. So many ways to eat this amazing stir fry. Use other cooked beans or lentils and other spice blends like cajun or garam masala for variation.
For all the black eyed pea prosperity and happiness, make this Deep Dish Lasagna Pizza with Black eyed Peas and Greens, Some Black Eyed Pea and Lentil soup, a grain-free Black eyed Pea and Potato Masala Pie stuffed with broccoli and cauliflower, or a hearty black eyed pea and Pumpkin Chard Chili.
Be safe and happy this New Years eve!
More Breakfast options from the blog here. Remind me to add a Savory breakfast category in 2017.
Black Eyed Peas and Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) of garlic finely chopped
- 1 (1 ) sweet potato peeled and cubed small (1.5 to 2 cups cubed)
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green bell pepper chopped small
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more salt depends on if the black eyed peas are salted
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) thyme
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) harissa spice blend or 2 to 3 tsp paste
- 1.5 cups (258 g) cooked black eyed peas
- 1.5 cup (60 g) or more chopped baby greens I use 1 cup chopped frozen baby spinach
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) olive oil
- ground cumin black pepper, or more harissa spice blend for garnish
- cilantro/scallions and lemon juice for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, Add onion and garlic and a pinch of salt and cook until translucent. 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add sweet potato, bell pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, thyme, harissa and toss well to coat. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add a splash of water (2 to 3 tbsp) and mix. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes undisturbed. Stir and check if the sweet potatoes are done. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or so longer if not done.
- Add the black eyed peas and greens and mix well. Increase heat to medium high and cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Add a tsp of olive oil or vegan butter, cumin, black pepper or more harissa spice blend, a dash of lemon and mix well.
- Take off heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve as is or with garlic bread or over toasted bread or tortillas. Or make a bowl with cooked grains, lettuce/greens and a dressing.