Spicy Garlicky Korean Mac and Cheese with Gochujang. Use sriracha for variation. Vegan Recipe. Gluten-free with gluten-free pasta
There can’t be too many mac and cheese recipes right. This version has some gochujang (Korean condiment that is spicy, fermented and pungent). Gochujang makes an amazing glaze for tofu.
It also makes a great addition to a creamy sharp flavored mac and cheese. Add as much gochujang as you like, or use Asian Chile Sauce or Sriracha instead. Serve this mac with roasted veggies that are glazed in gochujang + soy sauce+ sugar or over some broccoli or with a lentil loaf with a sriracha maple glaze. I like this with a sprinkle of vegan parm and generous black pepper. A toasty breadcrumb topping with a mix of toasted bread crumbs, a clove of garlic minced and herbs of choice, works amazing as well.
More Mac from the blog
- Masala Mac and Cheese – Because Masala!
- Cauliflower Alfredo, Spinach, artichoke Lasagna
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with Pumpkin Cream Sauce and Crispy Sage
- Instant Mac and cheese mix in a jar – a must
- Nacho Mac and cheese Casserole – So filling.
- Black Pepper Mac and cheese with potato Carrot Cheese Sauce. So good!
Gochujang can be found in asian stores or online. It is a pungent sauce that can be an acquired taste, or can be bothersome on the tongue/taste buds as with any fermented food. Try a smaller amount in combination with an asian chile paste and experiment with more after. If the smell or flavor doesn’t work out for you, the sharp smell and flavor of heddar will mask it. Add vegan cheddar to the sauce and garnish. Gochujang can contain barley water, barley or barley malt which might not be listed as an ingredient. If you are gluten-sensitive, make sure to get certified gluten-free gochujang.
- 8 oz macaroni pasta
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp gochujang or use sambal oelek asian chile paste, or sriracha
- 4 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp or more salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp prepared mustard or ground
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- black pepper to taste
- Make your pasta according to instruction on the package by boiling in a large saucepan. Add broccoli in the last 3 mins.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and minced garlic and cook until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blend all the ingredients from roasted garlic (spices, ketchup etc, through nutritional yeast until smooth. I usually blend 2 to 3 times for 1 minute cycles.
- Add gochujang or asian chile sauce to the cooking onion and mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Add the blended mixture to the skillet and cook to bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Add more of either if needed. At this point you can add in some vegan cheddar shreds if you like.
- Fold in the cooked pasta and broccoli and thyme and toss well. over and cook for 1 minute. Then switch off the heat. Let it sit for 2-3 mins.
Sprinkle black pepper generously and/or vegan parm (optional) or vegan cheddar and serve.
Nutritional values based on one serving