25 Minute Weeknight Pasta. Ziti with Chipotle Lentil Tomato Sauce. Smoky Chipotle and lentils in the pasta sauce make it a flavorful and filling meal. Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Easily glutenfree with GF pasta.
This weeknight Pasta is a breeze to put together. Cook the pasta of choice, simmer the sauce and lentils all together with herbs and a chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce(smoky and hot!). Toss and serve. You can add some seasonal veggies to this pasta like some garlic roasted asparagus, carrots, or roasted brussels. And yes that’s mint in the photos, it should be basil 🙂
More pastas from the blog
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Black pepper Chickpeas
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with pumpkin cream sauce and crisp Sage
- Black pepper Mac and Cheese
- Chickpea Chorizo, Quinoa shells in tomato sauce.
- Zesty Pesto Pasta with chard and zucchini
- Ziti Cheddar Brussels sprouts bake
If you make this pasta, do tag me on Instagram, or leave a comment and rating on this post!
Ziti with Chipotle Lentil Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 cups (90 g) uncooked pasta like Ziti or Penne
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (7 g) red onion chopped small (1/4-1/2 inch)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup (64 g) chopped carrot chopped small
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil or 1 Tbsp packed chopped fresh basil
- 2 large juicy tomatoes pureed about 1.5 cups
- 1 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 1 two inch chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce chopped or pureed with the tomatoes (remove the seeds to reduce heat if needed) , or use 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1/3 cup (60 g) red/pink lentils washed and drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) pepper flakes or cayenne or to taste feel free to omit
- a generous dash of black pepper
- nutritional yeast or vegan parm and extra virgin olive oil for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on the box.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the carrots and herbs and mix well. At this point you can also add in veggies such as zucchini or thinly sliced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoe puree and chopped chipotle pepper and cook for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Add 1 tbsp tomato paste and a touch of sweetener for deeper flavor.
- Wash, drain lentils and add to the pan. Add water and Cook partially covered for 16 to 18 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add salt, vinegar and peppers and mix in. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Cook a few minutes longer, uncovered, if the sauce is too thin. Reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add pasta to the sauce. Cook covered at low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes. let sit for another 2 minutes before serving. Sprinkle nutritional yeast or vegan parm and extra virgin olive oil and serve.