Vegan Gluten free Coffee Cake – Simple Fall Sweet Potato Pecan Crumb Cake with Pumpkin pie spices. Warm Cozy slice of cake. Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe.
After a couple of batches of the delicious Pumpkin Pecan Crumb Coffee Cake, I tried out this a gluten-free version. This Sweet potato version uses almond and rice flours, sweet potato puree and a similar pecan crumb liberally spiced with pumpkin pie spices and cardamom.
It is soft, moist, spiced, lightly sweet and perfect fall snack, dessert or breakfast! And you cannot tell that is it gluten-free! I also like the sweet potato version for a lovelier flavor profile and a break from all the pumpkin. It has a deeper caramelized kind of flavor and a beautiful crumb texture. Serve these warm cake bars topped with whipped coconut cream and sprinkle of pumpkin spice to everyone gf or not!
If you make to make this crumb cake with regular flour, use this Pumpkin Crumb Cake recipe which uses regular flour. Replace the pumpkin puree with sweet potato.
More fall baking
- One bowl Pumpkin Bread
- Sweet Potato Pie Bars.
- 1 bowl pumpkin cream cheese muffins
- Sweet Potato Blondies. GF
- Pumpkin Pecan Crumb Coffee Cake.
Mix the dry in a bowl. Mix in the wet ingredients in another. Mix the crumb ingredients in a small bowl with your hands until crumb like and set aside.
Mix the wet into the dry to make thick batter.
Spread into a parchment lined pan. Sprinkle the crumb mixture all over and bake.
Smells heavenly! I use different spice combinations in the crumb. Just pumpkin pie spice, just cinnamon, cinnamon + cardamom, chai spice (that has cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, black pepper), pumpkin pie spice + cardamon. Use less or more to preference.
You can easily sub pumpkin puree for the sweet potato. I use sweet potato puree from a can which is a thinner puree compared to sweet potato mash that you might get after boiling or baking the sweet potato. Similarly pumpkin puree consistency also differs by brand. The consistency of the batter shouldn’t be too runny. Adjust with additional tbsp or more of rice flour or non dairy milk if needed.
The oil can be subbed by smooth and drippy almond butter or other nutbutter.
Do try this sweet potato crumb cake and let me know how it turned out! If you make it, please consider rating it and leaving a comment below. I love hearing from you and seeing your awesome remakes! Find me on Instagram and tag me @veganricha
Vegan Gluten free Coffee Cake - Sweet Potato Pecan Crumb Cake
- 1/2 cup (79 g) white rice flour or brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup (40 g) potato starch
- 3/4 cup (84 g) almond flour
- 2 to 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice , or add or 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ginger, ¼ to ⅓ tsp nutmeg, ⅛ tsp cloves
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 3/4 cup (7.41 oz) Sweet potato puree (I use canned)
- ¼ cup (2.84 oz) maple syrup
- 2 to 3 tbsp (2 to 3 tbsp) sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 3 tbsp oat flour or use other gluten-free flour
- 4 tbsp sugar (I use 2 tbsp coconut and 2 tbsp cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon or chai spice or pumpkin pie spice
- 2.5 tbsp refined coconut oil or organic safflower oil
- In a bowl whisk all the dry ingredients really well. In another bowl mix the wet ingredients and mix to combine well.
- Fold in the dry into the wet until mixed. Let the mixture sit to hydrate for 5 minutes. Meanwhile line the pan with parchment or grease. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer the stiff batter into the prepared pan. Even it out using a spatula.
- Mix all the ingredients under crumb until the mixture sticks to form fat crumbs. Add more oil if needed. Spread the crumb mixture on top of the batter evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick from the center comes out almost clean.
- Remove from pan after 5 minutes then let cool for another 15 mins before slicing. Serve as is or topped with whipped coconut cream or vegan ice cream.