Cannellini and Lentil Jamaican Curry. 1 Pot 30 Minutes. Easy Coconut Curry with Jamaican Curry spices and beans and red lentils. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. 16+ gms of Protein.
This super flavorful curry came about when I wanted a hearty stew with lentils and chickpeas and of course spices. I was out of canned chickpeas (insert shocked emoji here) and lunch time was approaching in 30. I decided to shake off my urge to use berbere (seriously you need to make this blend), and used some of my Jamaican curry blend (new obsession begins).
This stew comes together very quickly. Just get everything out and ready to use. If you don’t have a Jamaican Blend, you can make your own. The onion caramelized, the spices cooked with it, then cook the lentils half way in a mix of coconut milk and water, add beans (add any cooked beans or chickpeas) and continue to simmer. You can also add some veggies with the lentils. Add greens of choice, some lemon and cayenne and done. Serve as is, over rice, or with toasty bread. Amazing flavor and so satisfying!
This is not an authentic Jamaican curry. It’s based off a Jamaican Chickin curry version I had someone send me long ago and I used the concept in my general lentil coconut style curry with the Jamaican Curry blend. Feel free to edit to preference. Add some veggies, potatoes, carrots, squash etc, fresh thyme for a more traditional version.
More 1 pot Meals from the blog
- 1 Pot Chickpea Sweet Potato Spinach Curry GF Soy-free
- Veggie Spring Rolls in Fried Rice Form. 1 Pot GF
- Kung Pao Lentils GF
- Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce GF Soy-free
- Aloo Palak Dal – Instant Pot Potato Spinach Lentil Curry GF Soy-free
- Sweet Potato Peanut Curry GF Soy-free
When doubling stews and curries, start with a bit less liquid than double and add more later if needed. If you make this Jamaican Curried Lentil and Bean Stew, do leave me a comment and rate the recipe!
Cannellini and Lentil Jamaican Curry
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion hinly sliced or chopped
- 5 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) hot green chile like serrano or scotch bonnet pepper , chopped
- 2 tsp Jamaican Curry powder more or less to preference, see note
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/2 cup (90 g) red lentils (dried) - the quick cooking kind - masoor dal
- 1 cup (226 ml) coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup (312.5 ml) water
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 15 oz can cannelini beans or chickpeas or kidney beans (13 to 15 oz or 1.25 cups cooked beans)
- A big handful of spinach/greens
- cayenne to taste
- lemon and cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chile. Cook until golden.
- Add the spices and cook for few seconds.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the beans, and continue to cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through. Add more water if needed.
- Taste adjust salt and spices. Add a dash of sugar or maple for sweetening, more salt if needed, and more Jamaican curry powder. Add in the greens.. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a dash of cayenne and lemon juice. Serve hot over rice, with toasty bread or add more water for a soup.