Easy 1 Pot Chickpea Sweet potato Spinach Curry with Indian Spices. Use spices of choice, pumpkin or other squash and other beans. throw everything in the pot and let it cook. Vegan gluten-free soy-free Recipe. To double the recipe, double everything except water. Add 1.5 times and add more if needed.
Super easy curry today. Warmly Spiced Chickpea Sweet Potato Spinach Curry. Its a use up whatever you have kind of curry. Use beans of choice, squash or sweet potato, greens of choice and let them all simmer for a flavorful curry. You can also use cooked lentils instead of chickpeas. Use spices of choice or spice blends like garam masala, berbere, cajun or turkish peppery blend. Use a cup of coconut milk for a creamier curry. I served this with my Yeast -free Garlic flatbread.
I am making Vegan Gift Guide for the holidays. What are your favorite things to gift?
More chickpea recipes from the blog
- Mushroom Chickpea Greens soup. GF
- Chickpea Zucchini Carrot Fritters/Pancakes
- Masala Chickpea Bowl – GF
- Shawarma Chickpea Buddha Bowl – GF
In other news, we had a dishwasher leak, then pulled out 2 floor boards. Then the freezer leaked a bit (probably the door didn’t properly that day and defrosted). And today after the crazy rain and wind storm, one of our windows is leaking. its leaking inside the house! Year of the leak? or its because the house is now 2 years old.
Chickpea Sweet Potato Spinach Curry
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 (0.5) a red onion chopped, or 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala or use curry powder or other spice blend of choice like berbere or cajun
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne/red chili powder
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can chickpeas drained or use 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 to 1.5 cup (133 g) chopped peeled sweet potato or pumpkin
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) or more salt
- 1.5 to 2 cups (45 g) chopped or baby spinach or 1 cup frozen thawed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. add cumin seeds and cook until they change color and get fragrant. Let them cook until really toasty.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook until translucent. If using garlic ginger paste, add with the tomatoes.
- Add the spices and mix in. Cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and a splash of water, mix, cover and cook until tomatoes get saucy. Mash the larger pieces. 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, sweet potatoes, water and salt. Mix, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the spinach, lemon juice, mix in, reduce heat to low-medium and continue to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Garnish with paprika and cilantro and serve as is, with rice/quinoa or Garlic flatbread.
- Variations: Add a cup of coconut milk for creamier curry at step 4 instead of all water.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add cumin seeds and dry roast until fragrant. Add onion, garlic, ginger and splash of water and cook until translucent. Add more water splashes if needed. Continue with the rest of the steps.
To make in a Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot:
Follow steps 1 to 3 in a pressure cooker over medium, or in a separate pan. Add cooked chickpeas, sweet potatoes, 1.5 cups water, salt and spinach. Close the lid, set the time to 8 to 10 minutes at high pressure (Cook 6 to 8 mins once the pressure has reached for stove top cooker). Nutritional values based on one serving