Fluffy Mashed Potatoes with Vegan Gravy – 1 Pot gravy- Mushroom Free. Can be Nut-free, soy-free. Serve over mashed potatoes, biscuits, thanksgiving loaf and more. Vegan Recipe.
There often are hundreds of versions of some popular dishes on the web. Sometimes I make elaborate versions of the simple ones or make some with my own twists. But then it is the holiday season and everyone needs a simple gravy recipe to serve over them fluffy tatoes. This is one of the ways I like my gravy. You can add mushrooms with the onions to the gravy for a mushroom variation. Use fresh herbs if possible for amazing flavor.
I cook my potatoes and garlic together in the Instant pot. Mash and whip, add some coconut milk and herbs of choice. Done! Potatoes can also be cooked in a saucepan. See post for options.
The gravy needs just 1 pot and comes together quickly. Change up the flavors to taste and pour over anything and everything! Time to make some comfort food.
More Holiday Sides
- Black pepper Mac and Cheese Nut-free, SF, can be GF
- Crispy Breaded Tofu Strips with Butternut Squash Pilaf
- Masala Mac and Cheese, SF can be GF
- Quinoa shells in Jalapeno garlic sauce (GF SF)
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with Pumpkin Cream Sauce and crispy Sage. SF, easily GF
- Over-Stuffed Mushrooms with herbed Chickpeas, veggies, cashews. Pictured above. SF Easily GF.
- Chickpea Stuffed Poblano Peppers with roasted red pepper sauce. GF SF
- Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. GF SF
- Potato Quinoa Patties (GF SF)
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes with Vegan Gravy - 1 Pot gravy- Mushroom Free. Can be Nut-free, soy-free. Serve over mashed potatoes, biscuits, thanksgiving loaf and more. Vegan Recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 tbsp flour all purpose, or use 3.5 tbsp rice flour for gluten-free
- 2 tsp vegan worchestershire sauce or use soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp prepared mustard or 1/4 tsp ground mustard + 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or white pepper
- generous dash of fresh or dried thyme and sage
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch nutmeg or cinnamon
Make the Mashed Potatoes. Add fresh herbs of choice and set aside.
- Gravy: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden. Add the flour and mix in and toast for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sauces and spices and mix in. Add the milk and water and salt and bring to a boil. Keep whisking. It will take 4 to 6 minutes to thicken. Add nutritional yeast, nutmeg. Taste and adjust flavor. Add some soy sauce for additional saltyness. Add some poultry seasoning for additional flavor if you have some. Add more water if too thick. Serve over mashed potatoes or biscuits.
To make this without Worcestershire/soy, use 1 tsp chickpea miso.
To make this without nutritional yeast, use 1 tsp miso.
To make with mushrooms, add 6 to 8 oz mushrooms with onion and cook to golden.
For variation: use 10 cloves of roasted garlic in the mashed potatoes.
Nutrition is 1 of 6 serves, includes my vegan mashed potatoes