Fettuccine with Caramelized Onions, Greens and Vegan Feta – ish cheese. Easy Weeknight meal. Make the cheese ahead, then the dish is 1 Pot and 30 minutes. No soaking, blending or straining needed for the cheese! Vegan, can be Gluten-free, Soy-free
Sometimes the simplest of meals leave a lasting memory. This pasta was one of those. I remembered a kale and feta pasta from some browsing some time ago, and I had to make a vegan version. This simple almond cheese, adapted from my everything bagel cheese ball, is super quick and versatile and we’ve been adding it to pizzas as pastas. It works wonderfully as a feta sub here. It takes 5 minutes to mix up then bake, Meanwhile prep the greens, onions, caramelize the onion, boil the pasta. The cheese gets done just in time to be added to the pasta mix. Meal ready in 40 minutes!
Adjust the flavor for tang to preference and bake the almond cheese. Caramelize the onion and cook the greens. Fold in herbs, pepper flakes some of the almond cheese with the Fettuccine and done. Make the cheese ahead, then the dish is 1 Pot and 30 minutes. Easily gluten-free with gluten-free pasta. We’ve been whipping up variations of this amazing meal this month with different herbs, added sundried tomato, other herbs and flavors it the cheese (some chipotle goes so well too). Satiating and Delicious! Let me know if you make it.
More Pasta from the blog
- Fettuccine Alfredo with mushrooms, GF option
- Garlic Sauce with Cajun Cauliflower GF option
- Fajita Pasta with Taco Spiced Veggies and Chickpeas. GF option
- Pesto Spaghetti with chickpea “meatballs”.
- Roasted Red pepper Sauce Pasta with black pepper chickpeas
- Garlicky Korean Mac
The sweetness and flavor from the caramelized, light base of the pasta with cheese, olive oil, onion and greens, make this a wonderful meal meal.
Fettuccine with Caramelized Onions, Greens and Vegan Feta
- 10 to 12 oz fettuccine
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cups greens such as spinach chard, baby kale or a combination
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) red pepper flakes , less for less heat
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup almond flour , super fine if possible
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1 small clove of garlic minced or crushed
- 2-3 tsp (3 tsp) lime juice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened non dairy yogurt or use water starting with 2 tsp
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp miso white mellow miso or use chickpea miso to make soyfree
- Make the feta: Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl (almond flour to onion powder) and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Get your hands in there to press and knead into a dough. Taste and add more lime juice if needed. If the mixture is too crumbly, add a few drops of water at a time and press and knead then shape into a flat ball. Bake at 210 degrees F (100 C) for 30 mins. Chop into small pieces. Can be made ahead by upto 2 days, store refrigerated in closed container.
- Cook the fettuccine according to instruction on the package, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, a good pinch of salt and sugar and cook until golden. 6 to 8 mins. Stir occasionally. Add garlic and mix in and cook for 2 minute.
- Add greens, oregano and red pepper flakes and olive oil and mix in. Cook until wilted.
- Add the cooked pasta, salt, half of the cheese pieces and mix in. Add a good dash of black pepper. Taste and adjust flavor and salt. Add some lemon for additional tang. Cook for a minute to heat the pasta through. If the mixture is sticking, deglaze with a tbsp or so of water.
- Plate the pasta and add some more of the cheese pieces per serving. Some extra virgin olive oil if you wish. Some pepper flakes for heat and fresh seasonal herbs. And watch it disappear!