Veggie Kurma – Easy Coconut Korma Sauce with Cauliflower, Potatoes, Carrots, Chickpeas. 1 Pot Vegetable Korma Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe. Instant Pot option
There are varieties of Korma just like there are of Dals. And they are all Delicious!
This Korma Sauce is adapted from a coconut based kurma. Kurma is a similar dish like korma but made with slightly different ingredients depending on the regions and recipes in Southern India. This sauce has whole spices such as fennel seeds, some shredded coconut, tomato, onion, ginger, garlic all blended to a smooth puree. The puree is cooked to roast the mixture, then veggies mixed in and simmered with some coconut milk for creamier or simmered with water for everyday korma/kurma. Add veggies, baked tofu or other additions in this sauce for variation.
1 Pot, Easy, Delicious Weekday Korma.
More 1 Pot Meals
- 1 Pot Chickpea Sweet Potato Spinach Curry GF Soy-free
- Veggie Spring Rolls in Fried Rice Form. 1 Pot GF
- Kung Pao Lentils GF
- Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce GF Soy-free
- Aloo Palak Dal – Instant Pot Potato Spinach Lentil Curry GF Soy-free
- Sweet Potato Peanut Curry GF Soy-free
- Jamaican Curry with Red Lentils & White Beans. GF Soyfree
I have 2 more Kormas in my drafts! An Instant pot no tomato version coming soon too. Vegan version of Navratan Korma can be found in my first book.
Tips for a flavorful Korma Sauce:
- Toast the whole spices really well in oil. Cook and caramelize the onion tomato puree for max flavor
- Spices often take some time to fully enrich the dish, so most indian sauces and curries are tastier the next day/meal.
- Old spices lose flavor significantly. Adjust by adding more of the spices when you taste to adjust. My garam masala is pretty potent, so I generally use less.
- You can use fresh or dried coconut in this recipe. Depending on the coconut, it will take longer to blend. Blend longer if using dried thick coconut, and longer for smoother sauce.
Veggie Kurma - Easy Coconut Korma Sauce with Cauliflower, Potatoes, Carrots, Chickpeas. 1 Pot Vegetable Korma Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree Nutfree Recipe. 18 g Protein
- 1/4 medium onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 green chile or add cayenne with the ground spices to taste
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp each ground cardamom , cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- a dash of black pepper and cayenne for additional heat
- 1/2 head small Cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1 medium potato cubed
- 1/2 to 1 cup veggies such as carrots zucchini, peppers
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1 cup water or coconut milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar or sweetener optional
Blend onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, chile, fennel seeds and coconut until smooth. Add a few tbsp of water if needed. Blend for a minute, then let sit for 5 mins, then blend again. This will help the coconut and fennel seeds to break down and blend.
Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add bay leaves and cook for a few seconds. (you can add other whole spices such as 2 cloves or 1 slightly opened cardamom pod here for variation). Add the ground spices and mix in. Quickly add the blended mixture(so the ground spices dont burn) and mix in. Add a dash of salt, Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally so the onion gets well roasted.
When the onion tomato mixture is thick and starts to get fragrant(spice and roasted smell), add the veggies and chickpeas and mix in. Add water or coconut milk and salt and cover and cook for 13 to 15 minutes or until the veggies are cooked to preference. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Add in the peas. Add more coconut milk/cream if needed or some cashew cream for creamier. Simmer for a few minutes. Add 1/4 tsp sweetener if needed and mix in. Garnish with roasted cashews, cilantro, garam masala and sliced green chilies or cayenne for heat. Serve hot with Naan, roti flatbread or rice.
Instant Pot: This can be made in the instant pot pressure cooker. Follow Step 1 and 2 on saute mode, then add veggies, chickpeas and 3/4 cup liquid and close the lid. Pressure Cook on Manual low pressure for 3 mins. Quick release, add peas and saute if needed for a min.
I prefer it on the stove top for the control over the heat while roasting the sauce and the veggies getting cooked just right.
Nutrition is for 1 Serve