This Vegan Meatloaf is flavorful, decadent, nutty and great for anyone wanting a no bean/lentil loaf. Use nuts of choice. Vegan Recipe. Can be Glutenfree, soyfree Jump to Recipe
Every year a new “meat” loaf ! My Lentil Quinoa Loaf is super popular. Hearty with Lentils Quinoa and Veggies and amazing texture and flavor (no nuts) and my Chickpea Veggie Loaf is a close second and is a bean version. Both are nut-free and are also available in my second book.
So this year I went with loads of nuts in this Bean free Loaf! This Nut Loaf is rich and hearty, uses nuts and seeds, some butternut squash for the binding, mushrooms and herbs for umami. It comes together easily and is bean free and lentil free! You can add in some lentils for a lentil nut “meatloaf”. The simple glaze balances out the flavor so you get rich umami, texture, tangy, sweet, savory all in one bite! Serve it with my easy gravy or some cranberry sauce.
More Mains for the Holidays
- Lentil Quinoa Loaf can be SF,NF and GF
- Mushroom Lentil Shepherd’s Pie. NF, GF, SF option
- Chickpea Veggie Loaf NF can be SF and GF
- Shepherd’s Pie with Chickpeas/Lentils & Sweet Potato NF SF GF option
- Cauliflower Alfredo, Spinach, Artichoke Lasagna. NF SF can be GF
- Easy Vegan Veggie Lasagna. NF Can be GF
- Grilled Portobello with Garlic Sauce. GF
This year hasn’t been fun with legumes(digestion changes with peri menopause). After eating them all my life, hundreds of varieties of them(dals, beans, chickpeas) in Indian food for so long, I am reducing them this year, go figure. So this loaf works out amazingly for me. You don’t have to be bean free to try it. Its a hearty delicious loaf with amazing texture and rich flavor to please everyone. Add some cooked lentils for more volume if you like for a lentil nut loaf. Make it into patties or stuff into puff pastry hand pies! This Loaf mix is very versatile.
Look at that perfect slice! served here with my 1 Pot Gravy with added mushrooms.
This Vegan Meatloaf is flavorful, decadent, nutty and great for anyone wanting a no bean/lentil loaf. Use nuts of choice in this Nut Roast. Vegan Recipe. Can be Glutenfree Soyfree
- 1 1/4 cups nuts (I use a combination of raw or roasted cashews, raw walnuts, raw pecans)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp oil (or use 1/4 cup broth)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (cremini or white or a mix)
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash , heaping cup
- 2 tsp italian herbs (1/2 tsp each thyme, ground sage, rosemary, oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp poultry seasoning (poultry seasoning is just herbs). or use more sage and thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt (less or more depending on if the breadcrumbs are already salty, if using regular or low sodium soy sauce etc)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for gf ( or use a combination of balsamic vinegar and coconut aminos for soyfree)
- 2 flax eggs (mix 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 5 tbsp water)
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs (use glutenfree breadcrumbs or coarsely ground oats for glutenfree)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce/tamari , or use 1/4 tsp salt + 1 tbsp broth for soyfree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sriracha , optional
Toast the raw cashews and sunflower seeds in the oven at 325 deg F (160 C) for 5 mins. Or toast on a skillet over medium heat until golden. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (optional if using pre-roasted nuts).
Add the cashews and sunflower seeds to a food processor with the rest of the nuts and pulse to a somewhat coarse meal with a few chopped size pieces visible.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil or broth. Add onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 mins. Then add mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until some golden edges. 3-4 mins.
Add butternut squash and mix in. Add a splash of water, cover and cook until the squash is tender. Mash and transfer to a bowl. Add in the spices, salt and mix in. Add the chopped nuts and seeds, soy sauce, flax egg mix, breadcrumbs and mix well.
Taste and adjust salt, herbs and flavor. ** The flavor will get more pronounced on baking. If the mixture is too wet, add a tbsp or so flour. You want it to be just slightly sticky. If too dry or crumbly, add a splash of broth. If you like sweeter, profile, add a tbsp of tomato paste or some chopped dried fruit such as dried cranberries or apricots.. (this mixture can be used to make burger patties, pan fried or baked. Or can be stuffed into puff pastry for a puff pastry loaf or small hand pies).
Transfer to a parchment lined pan. Lightly press to shape and even it out. Do not pack too much. Bake for 25 to 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix everything under the glaze. Taste and adjust if needed.
** Variation: Add a cup of cooked Lentils for a lentil nut loaf. Mash half the lentils and add at step 5. Add some more herbs to taste.
Variation flavors: Add a tbsp balsamic vinegar or miso. Add a tbsp of vegan Worcestershire sauce
Reduce herbs for less thyme/sage flavor profile.
Nutrition is for 1 serve