Vegan Shepherds Pie with Chickpeas and Sweet Potato mash. Savory Brothy Veggies and Chickpeas, mashed potatoes, Crusted with breadcrumbs, garlic and herbs. 1 hour easy Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie. Vegan Nut-free Soy-free Recipe. Can be gluten-free.
Veggies, Chickpeas (or lentils), fresh herbs, herbed mashed sweet potato and a crusty garlic top. This savory pie just shot to the top in the running for the Vegan Thanksgiving entree.
Thanksgiving and potlucks around the holidays are a good time to whip up some savory filling meals. This Easy Casserole is filled with a veggie, herb, chickpea filling. Mashed sweet potato with vegan butter and thyme is layered over the filling. Breadcrumbs mixed with olive oil, minced garlic and rosemary finish the dish, to get a garlicky crusty top. Make this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie! I made individual servings, because everything is more fun in individual ramekins. Bake into ramekins or one baking pan. Use veggies of choice. Use cooked lentils instead of chickpeas for variation. Use potatoes, butternut squash for variation.
Gorgeous colors, savory flavors, warming, and delicious.
More options for the holidays
- Lentil Quinoa Loaf. can be GF
- Cauliflower Steaks with mushroom gravy GF
- Chickpea Veggie BBQ Loaf . Can be GF
- Gobi Musalam – Whole Roasted Cauliflower with creamy gravy. (GF SF)
- Cauliflower Alfredo, Spinach, Artichoke Lasagna. SF can be GF
- Easy Vegan Veggies Lasagna. Can be GF
If you make any of these of this Shepherd’s pie, tag me on Instagram (#veganricha) or social media and also let me know how it turned out!
Make the chickpea veggie filling. Cook and Mash sweet potatoes. Prep the garlic crumb herb topping.
Assemble in individual ramekins. Fill two thirds of the container with chickpea veggie filling. Add a layer of mashed sweet potatoes. Sprinkle some breadcrumb mixture on top and bake. The breadcrumb idea is from Jamie Oliver’s vegetarian Shepherd’s pie.
Vegan Shepherds Pie with Chickpeas & Sweet Potato
Chickpea Veggie Pie Filling:
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) coriander seeds
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) cumin seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried sage
- 1.5 to 2 cups (273 g) veggies -carrots, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, celery, chopped
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) or more salt divided
- 1/2 cup (72.5 g) peas
- 15 oz (425.24 g) can chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups (312.5 ml) water
- black pepper and cayenne to taste 1/4 tsp or more
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) soy sauce optional
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) celery seed optional
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
Sweet Potato Mash:
- 12 to 14 oz (340.2 g) chopped sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) dried thyme
Breadcrumb Garlic Olive oil topping:
- 1/2 cup (54 g) breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast optional
- fresh rosemary or thyme
Sweet Potato Mash:
- Add sweet potatoes to a pot of water with salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain, mash, season with salt, pepper, olive oil, thyme and set aside. (I used pre-cubed sweet potatoes to save time and to save my thumb).
Chickpea Veggie Filling:
- Meanwhile, Crush coriander and cumin seeds in a mortar pestle or blender/grinder. Heat oil over medium heat in a saucepan. When hot, add the crushed seeds to the oil. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add onion garlic and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. I had a thumb injury, so I chopped up onion and garlic in the food processor and used. I also processed the veggies in the processor, to add at the next step. This made the chopping prep a very quick 2 mins.
- Add veggies, thyme, sage and 1/2 tsp salt and cook for another 3 minutes. Add peas, chickpeas, salt (depends on if the chickpeas were salted), water, black pepper, cayenne, soy sauce, celery seeds, and mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover, add cornstarch mixed with water and simmer until thickened slightly. 5 to 7 mins. Taste and adjust salt, herbs. Preheat the oven to 425 deg F/ 220ºc
- Distribute the chickpea veggie mixture into ramekins (fill 2/3 of the ramekin) or one large baking dish. Add sweet potato mixture on top.
- Mix breadcrumbs, garlic, olive oil, optional nutritional yeast. rosemary or thyme in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mash.
- Bake at 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 15 to 20 minutes. Broil for a minute to brown if needed. Cool for a few minutes then Serve.
- The baked pie keeps well refrigerated. The filling will thicken a bit. Reheat and serve.
Use some uncooked quinoa + lentils for variation Nutritional values based on one serving