Breaded Brussels Sprouts make the perfect topping for this pasta dishJump to Recipe
Breaded Brussels Sprouts on pasta with tomato basil sauce
For the Breaded Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 cup (92.5 g) of thin rice flakes ground coarsely
- 2 tbsp + chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon flaxmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) dried basil or spice mix of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cayenne or black pepper or to taste
- 3-5 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) warm-hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) oil
- 8 Brussels sprouts stems cut, halved and outer leaves removed.
- 2 cups (120 g) of any pasta of choice
My simple tomato basil sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 3-4 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) of chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt to taste
Breaded Brussels Sprouts
- Mix all the ingredients, except BSprouts, to get a thick pasty mix. Let sit for a minute. Then coat halved brussels sprouts with it. The mixture is not very sticky, so just press on both sides to cover as much as you can. (See ready for baking picture above) Adjust water and chickpea flour if needed.
- Place on parchment with halved side up.
- Bake in preheated 365 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until the batter is dry and some outer leaves start to brown.
- Prepare 2 cups of any pasta of choice. Add tomato basil sauce and toss. You can also use any pesto sauce with it.
- Top with breaded brussels sprouts, nutritional yeast(optional) and chopped fresh basil.
My simple tomato basil sauce:
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil in pan, add in 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped.
- Cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes and 3 medium tomatoes finely chopped.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add in 3-4 Tablespoons of chopped fresh basil leaves or a teaspoon of dried basil and salt to taste(1/2 teaspoon).
- Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes until the tomatoes are mushy.