Vegan Chocolate Brownies made with dates and coconut oil. Super delicious, a great sweet treat when you need a chocolate fix. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Made these brownies twice.. the first ones were darker.. and the second ones were more brunette!:) These fun treats are best consumed warm the same day, topped with some fruit compote or vegan vanilla icecream!! VeganMofo Post 11.
Check out this newer fudgier darker awesomer Brownie post here… Triple chocolate Salted Caramel Brownie
Hubb’s birthday is coming in 2 days, and I have been so wrapped up in mofo, that I totally lost track of the date… now fretting over what to do or gift.. Done all the usual things so many times already.. though of course he will say all the sweet things like.. babe u already gave me all the best gifts and all this great food and blah etc ;). he is a sweetie… but still.. I think I will think tomorrow in some clear daytime, if my allergy fogged brain clears up!
Pictured below are the darker ones. I added some dates to help reduce the needed sugar content.. The dates, if pureed add a bit of date after taste to the brownie. I chopped the dates for the brunette brownie. The pureed dates also make the brownie more fudgy(darker ones). Scheduling this post and heading of to much needed sleep.
Chocolate Brownies Vegan
Vegan Chocolate Brownies made with dates and coconut oil. Super delicious, a great sweet treat when you need a chocolate fix. Vegan Recipe.
Servings: 8 servings (Makes about 3/4 inch high loaf in 8 by 4 inch bread loaf pan)
- 1/3 cup (41.67 g) Self rising flour
- 2/3 cup (80 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder (1 Tablespoon more for darker)
- 5 Tablespoons chocolate chips/cacao nibs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons flax meal
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 4 mejbool dates chopped or pureed (can be substituted by 2 Tablespoons sugar)
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or instant coffee or any mild spice
- 5 Tablespoons raw sugar or jaggery
- Soak the dates without pits in warm water for half an hour.
- In a blender, blend dates, sugar, salt, lemon juice, agave, oils, flax, cocoa powder with 1/3 cup of water.
- In a bowl, add the flours and the chocolate chips. Add the date puree.
- Mix till just about combined. Add more water if needed to get a thick batter. Taste batter and adjust sweetness to taste(since I usually make my baked goods mildly sweet). You can adjust the cocoa powder too. The color of the brownie will be a mildy deeper shade of the batter. Add nuts if you like. I added some chopped almonds in the brunette version.
- Drop and smooth batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till top is not jiggly and a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. The darker batch was baked to just about done and looks gooey, while the brunette batch was baked a bit more( and also had a little baking powder) and looks more cakey.
- Cool on rack before slicing. Serve with vegan icecream or fruit compote or melted chocolate !
- You can chop up the dates and add to the brownie instead of the date puree. Add 2-3 Tablespoons more oil for a gooeyier brownie. Have a fantastic day!
Nutritional value is based 1 serving
Chocolate Brownies Vegan
Amount Per Serving
Calories 279 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g31%
Vitamin A 40IU1%
Vitamin C 0.2mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
These brownies are headed to Anyone can cook 36!
Thank you Kris, Farwin and Winnie!
Kathryn @Jammedthoughts, I think the brownies will come out very mildly sweet without the sugar.. the Texture should be similar, since there are dates and agave to help with it.
You can add some other sweetener like a bit more agave, or stevia.
You can play around with the recipe, and taste it before baking. The sweetness will get more milder after baking.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hi! I was wondering, would omitting the raw sugar/jaggery affect the texture of the brownies at all? It would obviously make them less sweet, but I have a very small sweet tooth :p
Wow – these brownies look soooooooo Delicious
I love it
looks awesome..love the lighter version of the brownie…
What a marvel! Anything that includes dates is great in my books. Thank you for sharing this recipe. 🙂
Thanks Savannah.., yes please do!:)
The brownies look amazing. Like the idea of dates in there.
Oh I just knew I’d want these for lunch too! Is it ok to add your blog to my links list? Love! xox
Thank you Anu!
Thank you Susmitha! Good night, sleep tight, sweet brownie dreams!
Ooooh the chocolatey goodness! The photos are amazing, Richa. I’m gonna be having brownie dreams tonight. Thank you very much!!
It’s with a lot of will power (and laziness) that I’m stopping myself from going to the fridge right now to have a midnight chocolate face stuffing.
wow awesome dear…love it!
Thank Junia!.. seasonal.. fall is bringing these weird pressure changes every few hours.. morning thunderstorm, then evening sunny..and my sinuses are yelling at the sudden changes:)
ooo brownies with date paste! what’s your recipe for it? awww have fun celebrating your hub’s bday. what kind of allergies do u have?? seasonal or is it the raw fruits/veggies you mentioned?
They look so yummy!
Thanks Jess. i did sleep for 8 full hours! i think i need a couple more:)
Thanks Krithi! I loved the dark ones too, topped with some strawberry icecream!!
Thanks Jeni! I am hoping so too!
Thanks coldandsleepy.. your id is exactly the way i am feeling right now!
These vegan brownies look gorgeous and yum!
Good one.. especially love the dark ones..
Event: Serve It – Festival Potluck
oh yum i love the look of the dark ones, especially with the chocolate drizzle…
hope you got a good sleep in!
brownies look so yummy and tempting clicks ………
How beautiful! I love the idea of adding dates to your brownies though to be honest I love the idea of adding dates to most things.
They look scrummy, such beautiful photos too. I’m sure you’ll come up with something great for Mr Hobby and More.