Made these brownies twice.. the first ones were darker.. and the second ones were more brunette!:) These fun treats are best consumed warm the same day, topped with some fruit compote or vegan vanilla icecream!! VeganMofo Post 11.
Check out this newer fudgier darker awesomer Brownie post here… Triple chocolate Salted Caramel Brownie
Chocolate Brownies Vegan
- 1/3 cup (41.67 g) Self rising flour
- 2/3 cup (80 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder (1 Tablespoon more for darker)
- 5 Tablespoons chocolate chips/cacao nibs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons flax meal
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 4 mejbool dates chopped or pureed (can be substituted by 2 Tablespoons sugar)
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or instant coffee or any mild spice
- 5 Tablespoons raw sugar or jaggery
- Soak the dates without pits in warm water for half an hour.
- In a blender, blend dates, sugar, salt, lemon juice, agave, oils, flax, cocoa powder with 1/3 cup of water.
- In a bowl, add the flours and the chocolate chips. Add the date puree.
- Mix till just about combined. Add more water if needed to get a thick batter. Taste batter and adjust sweetness to taste(since I usually make my baked goods mildly sweet). You can adjust the cocoa powder too. The color of the brownie will be a mildy deeper shade of the batter. Add nuts if you like. I added some chopped almonds in the brunette version.
- Drop and smooth batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till top is not jiggly and a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. The darker batch was baked to just about done and looks gooey, while the brunette batch was baked a bit more( and also had a little baking powder) and looks more cakey.
- Cool on rack before slicing. Serve with vegan icecream or fruit compote or melted chocolate !
- You can chop up the dates and add to the brownie instead of the date puree. Add 2-3 Tablespoons more oil for a gooeyier brownie. Have a fantastic day!