Carrot Green Beans Poriyal. Easy Green Beans Carrot Coconut stir fry side. South Indian Green Beans Coconut Poriyal Recipe. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Indian Side.. Serves 2
Somedays I have veggies left that need to be used up. A whole week will go by with recipe development, testing and more recipe trials and errors, before I get to some vegetables which were not used in the recipes. If i have no plans for those veggies, I look online for ideas, choose some depending on what I have in the pantry and fridge, reject a few because I can imagine not liking the end result and often come back to Indian food. Indian food covers many different regional cuisines and most have abundant options using many vegetables which showcase the vegetables in a delicious recipe. There is so much more to do with green beans. Use green beans (string beans) or french beans (haricots verts) in this recipe.
This recipe is a simple green bean carrot stir fry with coconut. The beans are spiced with mustard seeds, dried red chiles and curry leaves. Easy, 15 minutes active time and then let them cook. There are more green bean recipes in my book! And a lot of veggies recipes. Green beans can also be added to main sauces instead of tofu.
More green bean recipes from the blog
- Green beans with fennel seeds, cilantro and lentils
- Greens beans and potatoes
- Green bean and mushroom stuffed pretzels
Carrot Green Beans Poriyal
- 1 tsp oil
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) urad dal split black gram optional
- 2 dried red chilies broken (use hot chilies like cayenne or birds eye or mild like California red)
- a pinch of asafetida hing - omit to make gluten-free
- 10 curry leaves chopped
- 2 to 2.5 cups (220 g) chopped green beans string beans or french beans (haricots verts) chopped into 1/2 to 3/4 inch bite size)
- 1 cup (128 g) chopped carrots or baby carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 to 3 tbsp coconut shreds dried or frozen(fresh)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot add mustard seeds and let them start to pop.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add urad dal and cook until dal changes color. 15 to 30 seconds.
- Add chilies, asafetida and curry leaves carefully. Mix and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add green beans, carrots, mix well. Add water, mix, cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- Add salt, coconut and a tbsp or so water if needed, and mix in. Cover and cook until the beans are done to preference. 5 to 10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Add cayenne if needed. Serve hot with Dals, lentil soups and flatbread or Dosa.