What do you do when there is a bunch of fresh greens sitting in the refrigerator and you cant eat a salad. Make them into a Smoothie! I usually cook the greens slightly or blanch them since I cannot easily digest the raw version. With some fruit added to the smoothie, the greens taste gets hidden and though it looks like a green smoothie, it doesn’t taste like one!:)Jump to Recipe
Chard, Lettuce, Pear, Ginger Smoothie
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 4-5 (4) big Chard leaves and soft stems chopped
- 4-5 (4) big lettuce leaves chopped
- 1 pear chopped
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger chopped
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar or maple/agave
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) rock salt kala namak
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) salt
- generous pinch of fennel powder or cumin powder optional
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- In a deep pan or pressure cooker, put all the ingredients.
- Cook on low-medium until pear is just about tender and the leaves wilted, or pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Let it cool, then blend. Add fresh lemon juice to taste, adjust salt, black pepper and water consistency.