Chickpea Pumpkin Veggie Pizza with Basic Pizza crust. Pumpkin sauce spiced with herbs and spices, topped with spicy chickpeas, veggies and pepita parmesan. Vegan Pizza Recipe. 5 main ingredients – Pumpkin puree + herbs, Chickpeas + spice mix, pizza crust (storebought or homemade), veggies (optional), vegan parm or cheese.
Continuing with the pumpkin season. Here is another easy pumpkin recipe to use up the pumpkin puree! Prep your pizza dough, mix herbs and spices in some chickpeas, mix herbs and spices in pumpkin puree, chop veggies for topping, layer, bake and done. GarNish with fresh herbs like basil or cilantro and vegan parmesan or vegan cheese of choice.
You can also use other squash purees, or mashed sweet potato (chickpea sweet potato Buddha bowl on a pizza!) and other spice combinations. I like pumpkin because I generally have a little puree left from other uses from a can of pumpkin puree which gets used up here. Or use a regular tomato based pizza sauce. I used my basic pizza dough that makes a soft rustic crust.
Whats your favorite way to use Pumpkin in Savory recipes?
More Pizzas from the blog
- Pizza with chipotle red lentil tomato sauce and vegan ricotta
- Sriracha BBQ Tofu Pizza with almond milk pepperjack
- Deep dish Black eyed pea Pizza
- Buffalo Chickpea Pizza with celery ranch dressing. very popular.
or try this savory Pumpkin cream sauce pasta.
There are many complex reasons for the cow slaughter ban/ beef ban currently happening in some states in India. Read this article to find out what plays into it and how animals are nowhere in the picture for such decisions. The ban does not apply to buffalo slaughter.
It is mind boggling some days to hear some of the community Gurus or other prominent people talking about how cow slaughter and eating beef is against the culture and not making the connection that India is the biggest exporter of beef (charts) (and the insanely large numbers of cows being slaughtered) because of the dairy industry! Also see this chart of the numbers over the years.
Prep the pizza dough, shape and let it sit for a few minutes near the oven. Toss chickpeas in the spices and mix well.
Mix italian herbs, salt and spices in the pumpkin puree and mix well.
Chop up veggies. Layer the pumpkin sauce, veggies, chickpeas. There are a lot more chickpeas on the pictured pizza than needed, you know because chickpeas. Use less or more.
Sprinkle salt and pepper.
Bake for 16 minutes. Remove pizza from the oven, sprinkle vegan parmesan and fresh basil.
Chickpea Pumpkin Veggie Pizza
For the Pumpkin sauce:
- 3/4 cup (183.75 g) pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix, or roasted butternut puree or other winter squash puree
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sugar or other sweetener
- 1 tsp italian herb blend or oregano + thyme + sage
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp non dairy milk optional
- a generous sprinkle of black pepper to taste
For the spiced chickpeas:
- 3/4 cup (123 g) cooked chickpeas
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/3 (0.33) or more salt depending on if the chickpeas were salted
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) cayenne
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) paprika
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic granules
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (0.5 tsp) lime juice
- sliced onions
- Sliced tomatoes
- mushrooms or zucchini.
- fresh basil chopped
- pepita parmesan or your favorite parm recipe
- Pizza dough - use this White garlic Crust or any of my other pizza crusts
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 220ºc. Prep the Pizza dough according to instruction. Roll it out into a 12 to 13 inch pizza. Let the rolled out dough sit near the warming oven for 5 minutes.
- Make the pumpkin sauce: Mix everything in a bowl until well combined. Add more salt if needed.
- Mix all the ingredients under chickpeas until well combined and all chickpeas are covered in spice.
- Spread the pumpkin sauce over the rolled out dough evenly.
- Add a layer of sliced tomatoes, then sliced onions, and other veggies like zucchini or mushrooms if using.
- Add spiced chickpeas all over. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Bake for 16 to 17 minutes. Broil for a minute to brown if needed.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Add chopped fresh basil or other herbs on top. Sprinkle vegan parmesan. Let it sit for a minute, the slice and serve.
I know this recipe has been up here for some time, but every fall I look forward to it again. It’s my idea of what “pumpkin spice” should be. This recipe is how I found your blog (googling “savory pumpkin recipes”) and the reason I bought your cookbooks. As soon as the weather cools down enough here, I’m going to try making this into calzones which will be easier to bring to work!
Made it tonight, it was so good!
I simply skipped the oil and cooked some butternut squash for the sauce.
Thanks for the recipe! Really simple and delicious!
I made pumpkin puree after Halloween and I was looking for something different to make with it! It was very delicious!! Pretty fast to make as well 🙂 very important when you have little ones at home. I am looking forward to try more recipes from your blog!
I’ve done this twice, amazing recipe!! <3
Looks amazing. Making this tonight!
Samantha @ The Planted Vegan
Love this idea! I am always looking for ways to use chickpeas, and this is the perfect way!
I love the sound of this Richa! I thought I’ve already put chickpeas into everything possible but pizza never crossed my mind. Plus the combination with pumpkin and all those warming spices sound heavenly 🙂
By the way, I had no clue about the cow slaughters in India! That’s crazy…
it definitely is a fabulous combination. the warming spices in the chickpeas paired with the herbed pumpkin!
the total is probably still less than the number slaughtered in the US.
20+ INGREDIENTS!?! Not sure I am up to this marathon just for a few minutes consumption.
its just 5 main ingredients – Pumpkin puree + spice mix of choice, Chickpeas + spice mix, pizza crust (storebought or homemade), veggies (optional), vegan parm or cheese.
Pumpkin puree and chickpeas come from a can, so if you have a crust, its minutes to layer up and put it in the oven.
I am not able to get canned pumpkin puree where I live, so if recipes involve a puree of some sort I it’s always more work for me (maybe for J’Marinde as well). However, I don’t mind it. I often make the puree the night before, or whenever I have time and simply keep it in the fridge. It then takes less time to put together once I actually prepare the meal. Regardless, it’s totally worth it for me if the recipe sounds good. PLUS I love cooking so basically I don’t care haha. This recipe looks and sounds amazing, will definitely be trying it! Btw: I made your pumpkin flatbread this morning. So yummy and easy 😀
So delicious–I love the idea of pumpkin pizza!
it is super fun!
Will be on my menu this weekend!
This is a really tasty (& creative) recipe! I wasn’t aware that India was the largest importer of beef..The slaughter number is unbelievable ..
BTW, a disability can be an ability at times! Just look at how successful your blog and books are (# 1 seller on Amazon!), and the smiles you place on your viewers and abandoned animals around the world =)
Yes, its the demand for dairy and very limited consumption of beef in the country which produces abundant meat to be exported. Maybe. I don’t know when I would have gone Vegan or worked on a blog/book if things hadn’t changed. 🙂 maybe another few years down the line as I would read about veganism because of chewie or any other dog we adopted.