Curry Ramen with Miso Lentils Recipe. Spicy Curry flavored broth, vegetables, noodles, cilantro, basil and Maple Miso Pepper Lentils make this a must make vegan ramen. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe
Sometimes recipes just come about without any plans. I was standing around in the kitchen wondering what to cook, to use up some of the veggies in the fridge and the lentils. I have plenty of dals with veggies or just veggies in some sauce. So it was time to change up the format.
I have ramen on list of to dos, but I am not a big fan of mushrooms. I was going through the to do list in my head (which is not necessarily efficient because the list in my head is always changing), Something clicked and this curry ramen ended up in our bowls for dinner. Loads of flavor, spicy or not to preference and add any vegetables you like. The lentils bring the bowl together. The lentils are simmered in miso, maple and pepper for a sweet savory umami topping. You can use mushrooms or tofu instead. Top generously with basil, cilantro and sprouts or other garnishes.
The curry paste is like a generic Indianish curry paste. Ginger, garlic, onion, curry powder*/garam masala, cilantro and chile. The paste is fried then simmered with coconut milk or other non dairy milk. Then served with cooked noodles. It also be served with rice or other cooked grains. Crunchy herb garnishes, Sprouts, Miso Lentils, or some crunchy lettuce or cucumber to tame the heat, pair well with the bowl.
(* Curry powder is a Western spice blend which usually has turmeric and more of cinnamony profile. Garam Masala is a traditional Indian spice blend that does not contain turmeric, and is smokier and earthier flavor profile. You can use either in this recipe and adjust flavor to taste by adding a pinch more cinnamon or cardamon, reducing turmeric etc).
This bowl is Amazing!. If you make it, do let me know in the comments about how you served it, and also rate the recipe.
More Bowls of Goodness ….
- Turmeric Lentil Seed Fritter Bowl with Tahini Dill Dressing
- Curried Kidney Bean Bowl with quinoa, zucchini, mango salsa
- Moroccan Chickpea Carrot Bowl with Turmeric Cauliflower Rice
- Shawarma Chickpeas, Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- Quinoa Cauliflower Bowl with almond Sriracha sauce
- Chickpea Aloo Chaat Bowl with Date Tamarind Chutney
- Chickpea Curry Bowl with spiced potatoes.
Assemble your bowl with cooked noodles of choice or rice, cilantro, basil, pepper flakes
And some lentils.
Vegan Curry Ramen with Miso Lentils
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup (40 g) chopped onion or shallots
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp curry powder or 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground turmeric or use 1/2 inch fresh peeled turmeric root
- 1 green chile hot or mild to preference (remove seeds to ontrol heat if needed)
- 1/4 cup (4 g) packed chopped cilantro and some cilantro stems
- 2 tsp sambal oelek (asian chile sauce) or 1 tsp sriracha (reduce for less heat)
- 6 to 8 oz noodles ramen or pad thai (I use brown rice pad thai)
- 2.5 to 3 cups (250 - 300 g) of vegetables chopped small such as cauliflower, carrots, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms etc
- 2 cups (450 ml) coconut milk or use 1 14 or 15 oz can
- 1 cup (240 ml) water or veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sugar or maple or other sweetener
- a good dash of Lemon juice
Miso maple lentils
- 1/2 cup (100 g) cooked lentils
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or 1 tbsp water and 1 tbsp sugar use 2 tsp for less sweet
- 1 tsp or more miso yellow or use chickpea miso to make soy-free
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- Blend the ingredients under curry paste in a small blender or processor, until coarsely crushed. Alternatively, mince the ingredients and mash them in a mortar and pestle.
- Cook your noodles according to package instructions. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the curry paste and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water, salt and longer cooking vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots peppers.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 4 mins. Add broccoli and mix in. Taste and adjust salt. Add sweetener to preference.
- Add a dash of lemon, add more water for more broth to preferred consistency,and simmer for a few minutes until the vegetables are tender to preference and broccoli is bright green.
- Take off heat. Add to serving bowl. Add a generous serving of noodles. Garnish liberally with cilantro, basil, scallions or sprouts. Add some miso lentils.
Miso Maple Pepper Lentils:
- Combine well drained lentils with miso, maple, and sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add salt to taste and good dash of pepper and mix well to distribute the miso. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve over the ramen.
Use sliced mushrooms instead of lentils to make miso mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms in oil for a few minutes before adding the maple and miso. Use other non dairy milk for variation, and add coconut oil or sesame oil to the broth for flavor. Serve with rice or other cooked grains. Nutrition values are approx 1 of 3 Serves using Brown Rice pad thai noodles and lite coconut milk