Gulab Jamuns Veganized (Indian sweet balls in flavored syrup). Delicious sweet treats made with cardamom and pistachios. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Phew.. VeganMofo is taking a toll for sure.. This is Post 7! And after this I will take a 2 day break, or maybe atleast a 1 day break.. and hopefully get to your blogs and comments!
Gulab Jamuns, Vegan (Indian Sweet Balls In Flavored Syrup)
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) water
- 8-10 Tablespoon (8 Tablespoon) raw sugar (adjust to taste, I like my GJs less sweet. Raw sugar is sweeter than refined sugar, use 3/4 cup refined sugar)
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) cardamom powder (add saffron or rose essence if you like)
- a generous pinch of saffron strands
- 1/3 cup (37.33 g) ground almonds
- 1/3 cup (27 g) ground Oats
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup (0.67 - 3/4 cup) self rising flour or all purpose flour/Whole wheat flour +2/3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) baking powder (total baking powder, 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoon per cup of dry ingredients)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cardamom powder
- raisins or raw pistachios to put inside balls (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon tasteless oil (used organic canola oil)
- Few Tablespoons water or almond milk
- Oil for deep frying
- For the sugar syrup, mix all ingredients in a deep pan( also wide enough to accommodate 10 GJ balls) and bring to a boil. Keep simmering on low till the syrup thickens to a bit thicker than water(3-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, grind the almonds, and then grind the oats into as fine a powder as possible.
- In a pan, add the rest of the ingredients for the balls and oil, except water and mix well. Add in a tablespoon of water at a time and make into a soft dough. dont knead too much.
- Let dough sit for 5 minutes, covered.
- Make tiny smooth balls and cover them with damp towel if not immediately frying. Add a raisin or a pistachio in the middle of the ball( that reduces the probability of an uncooked center ;)( cracks in balls are fine, they will not break up on frying!)
- Fry at medium hot heat in already hot oil. Keep moving them every 30 seconds till the balls are golden brown. (5-7 minutes). The balls will get atleast 3 shades darker in the syrup, so dont let them cook to a deep brown.
- Remove balls and let sit for half a minute to cool slightly.
- Add these balls to simmering sugar syrup.
- Mix them well to coat for 2 minute and Switch off heat(let syrup be on stove to keep warm). Let sit for atleast half an hour. Stir or turn them 2-3 times in between so all balls get good syrup coverage.
- Tips:Dont make too big a ball, dont press too hard while rolling into a ball,Fry them well at a good medium hot temperature till golden brown(5-7 minutes, moving occasionally), if brownining too quickly then the oil is too hot.Let soak in sugar syrup for half an hour before eating( the most difficult part;))Soak in simmering syrup. Syrup should not be too thick. Turn balls around every 5 minutes.The balls will look misshaped when absorbing the syrup on the sides which are dipped in the syrup, so turn them around till all sides absorb the syrup.Please do try these and give me some feedback so I can make them even better! and beat the Milk powder GJs to a far away land! Check out my round up of Indian Vegan Sweets/Desserts posted a week back here! (gluten free goodies too). More goodies to celebrate this month!
- For more tips and video see Manjula Aunty’s Regular GJ recipe and Video . The regular GJs in her step by step video are made the traditional way, but the recipe tips apply for this vegan version too… the really dark brown ones dint absorb syrup well, or had an uncooked center because of cooking on high heat. Happy Friday! Made these again and worked out just fine, keep the balls small and cook them golden! yumm.
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving