Delicious savory and spicy lentil curry buns (sambhar buns) made with leftover lentil curry. So easy and great as a snack or with meals.Vegan Recipe.Jump to Recipe
Lentil Curry Buns (Sambhar Buns)
- 2 cups (250 g) bread flour
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (2.2 oz) warm water
- 2 teaspoons quick rising yeast
- 2 cups (385 g) thick lentil curry (sambhar) blended to puree
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/2 cup (8 g) finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon (1 Tablespoon) oil
- Let the yeast sit in a quarter cup of warm water + 1 teaspoon sugar for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Grease the stand mixer bowl lightly. In the stand mixer bowl , add in the flours, salt and pepper and give it a quick mix.
- Add in the lentil curry(sambhar), cilantro leaves, oil and the yeast mixture and give them a quick mix with a spatula.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes using the dough hook.
- Scrape sides and knead again for 2 minutes. If mixing by hand, keep kneading till a nice soft and not very sticky dough is formed. The sambhar will make the dough generally stickier than normal bread dough and will also give the baked bun a very soft and moist texture.
- Knead in batched of 2 minutes with intermittent scraping till a soft dough is formed.
- Coat a bowl with oil and keep the dough in it , covered with a plastic wrap for rising.
- Let it rise for an hour. Punch it down and make small balls.
- Use the boule technique for a tighter crust and for the buns to rise more vertically ( pull dough gently using both hands in opp direction and tuck it in. Repeat 2-4 times to cover the circumference of the ball)
- Place buns an inch apart on a greased baking sheet. I got 8 big buns.
- Brush water on the buns and stick some flax seeds on them.
- Let rise covered by a towel for half an hour.
- Bake at 360 degrees F for 20 minutes. Times may very depending on the oven and amount and thickness of sambhar etc.
- Cool on wire rack for half an hour before munching on these savory buns with some garlicky olive oil or coconut chutney!. I also used them as burger buns with a veggie patty!
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving
- Total time does not include 1.5 hours proving time.