Tempered Cashew Yogurt, Spiced Potatoes and Bell Peppers with Indian Flat Bread (Kadhi, Aloo Shimla Mirch, Roti)! Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Another one of our meals from the recent days. I wanted to make some yogurt at home since we are not really that fond of the soy yogurt.. all that processed GMO soy.. not good at all!
Tempered Cashew Yogurt, Spiced Potatoes and Bell Peppers with Indian Flat bread (Kadhi, Aloo Shimla Mirch, Roti)! Vegan.
- 1 cup (245 g) yogurt (soy or cashew)
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger chopped
- 1 Serrano chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) raw sugar or jaggery or maple syrup to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- In a pan, add the oil and heat on medium heat for a minute.
- Add in the mustard seeds and be careful when they sputter.
- Add in the asofetida(hing), curry leaves and fenugreek seeds and mix for a few seconds.
- Add in the ginger, chopped chili and turmeric and cook for a minute.
- Add in 2-3 tablespoons of water to bring the temperature down so the yogurt doesnt sputter and separate.
- Add in the yogurt, salt and sugar /jaggery and mix well.
- Add water if you like the consistency to be a bit thin and give it a boil. For variations add 1 Tablespoon chickpea flour mixed in a little water along with the yogurt.
- Reduce heat to low, taste and adjust for salt and spice. Keep stirring till the yogurt just about starts to bubble. Add lemon juice if you want it a little sour.!
- Take off heat.