Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix! Add some to hot non dairy milk. Mix, top with whipped coconut cream and serve. Several variations. gluten-free Palm-oil-free Vegan Recipe.
Its time for a hot mug of hot chocolate! This Mexican hot chocolate mix is super easy and perfect for the days you want to sit by the fire place. This is a spicy Mexican hot chocolate mix. You can make it into plain, gingerbread, peppermint, pumpkin pie spice, caramel or other hot chocolate as wel. See the recipe for variations. What is your favorite hot chocolate?
This recipe is palm-oil free. I use cocoa butter based Theo 70% dark chocolate.
Loads of DIY Christmas Gift Ideas on this post. What are you making this holiday season!
Some uplifting and happy stories for the holiday season.
Onions in the house!
Mexican Hot chocolate Mix
- 1.5 oz (42.52 g) dark chocolate 1/3 cup. I use Theo 70% which is cocoa butter based
- 1/4 cup (50 g) raw sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch or other starch like arrowroot
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) cayenne use less or more to preference
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vanilla extract
- Make the Hot Chocolate Mix: Chop the dark chocolate into small chunks. Add to a blender, add the sugar, cocoa, starch, cayenne, cinnamon and salt and blend until the chocolate breaks down into coarse powder. Add in the vanilla and blend again until well combined. Store in an airtight container or gift.
- To make Hot Chocolate: Add 2 to 3 Tbsp of the hot chocolate mix to a cup of non dairy milk. Heat the milk in a pan or microwave until just hot enough but not boiling. Mix vigorously for half a minute. Serve with whipped coconut cream or vegan marshmallows. i added some mini chocolate chips as well. they slowly melt into the hot chocolate :).
- Make it plain: Omit the cayenne and cinnamon in the mix.
- Make it peppermint: add peppermint extract instead of vanilla in the mix.
- Make it Gingerbread: add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves to the mix.
- Make it Spiked: Add some bourbon or kahlua to the prepared hot chocolate 😉
- Make it Chai spice: Add 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger to the mix.
- Make it Nut butter-y: Add a tsp of PB or other nut butter to prepared plain hot chocolate.
- Make it Pumpkin Pie Spice: Add some pumpkin puree or pumpkin caramel to the prepared plain hot chocolate. Add a tsp of pumpkin pie spice to the hot chocolate mix.
- Make it Caramel: Use this Date caramel or this salted caramel to drizzle over the whipped coconut cream or add some to the prepared hot chocolate.