Patta Gobi Sabzi. Easy Cabbage stir fry with mustard seeds and split lentils. Vegan Indian gluten-free Soy-free RecipeJump to Recipe
Now lets talk about Cabbage. A Quick Indian side Cabbage subzi(any side veggie dish is called a sabzi/subzi, usually dry stir fry kind). We use green cabbage for this subzi. You can add other veggies too. I think I am going to make this with chopped up Brussels sprouts next.
Patta Gobi Sabzi (Cabbage Stir fry)
- 2-2.5 cups (140 g) cabbage finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil or mustard or sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili or to taste
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- a generous pinch of asafoetida hing
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1 Tablespoon of split lentils of choice not whole( urad daal-black gram, chana-bengal gram or toor- pigeon pea)
- 2/3 teaspoon (0.67 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium.
- Add mustard seeds when hot and mix for a few seconds.
- Add asofetida(hing), garlic and chili and cook for a minute.
- Add the lentils/daals and cook for a minute or so, until the lentils and garlic turn golden. Sometimes I soak the lentils for 5 minutes before adding for a non smoky taste. You can skip the lentils and add half teaspoon of cumin and coriander seeds.
- Add turmeric powder and cabbage and mix well.
- Cook covered on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir, add salt and cook partially covered for 10+ minutes, stirring occassionally, until cooked to your preference(also depends on the size of the chopped cabbage).
- For variations, add peas, chopped carrots or boiled potato, to the cabbage when you add salt. Or change up the spices, use cumin seeds or fennel or just a little garam masala!
- Serve hot topped with fresh cilantro or coconut flakes, as a side with Daal soups and Roti or Naan-Indian flat bread or Rice.