Mom has been whipping up some simple veggie sides to serve with Dals every day. She found some rainbow chard the other day and asked me what it is. I said its just another green veggie like spinach. Remove the hard stems and use. So she made a stir fry with it and told Dad it is Aloo Palak(potato spinach) with a different palak. Since it was a part of the indian food plate, he ate all of it.
Since then she has made aloo kale, aloo chard and aloo palak several times. I finally managed to sneak in the process to photograph and here goes.
Thats Dad’s Indian food plate below. One veggie side, one dal, flatbread, sliced up salad veggies. Sometimes there is pickle and papadum on the side too.
A few more days till a somewhat family reunion. My bro and his wife coming over next week for few days, so I will be m.i.a next weekend entertaining them and my parents.. catch some of the action on my Instagram.
More Dry Veggie sides here.
In a pan, add oil and heat on medium.
Add cumin, ginger, garlic and chili and cook until golden.
Add onions and cook until translucent. Then add potatoes and saute for a minute.
Add tomatoes now or just before serving.
Add spinach or chard. Mix well and cook covered on low heat until potatoes are tender. 20-25 minutes.
Add salt at 15 minute mark and stir.
Potato Spinach or Rainbow Chard stir fry. Aloo Palak. Vegan Potato Spinach Stir Fry
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2-3 Tablespoons (2 to 3 Tablespoons) finely chopped garlic
- 1 green chili chopped Serrano or bird's eye
- 1/4 cup (40 g) chopped onion
- 2 medium potatoes chopped
- 1-2 (1 ) tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups (72 g) chopped greens- Spinach or rainbow chard
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt or taste
- In a pan, add oil and heat on medium.
- Add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic and chili and cook until golden.
- Add onions and cook until translucent. 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, mix well and saute for a minute
- Add tomatoes, mix well.
- Add greens, mix and cook covered on low heat.
- Add salt after 10-15 minutes and stir well. You can also add tomatoes at this point instead of earlier, for chunky tomatoes version.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender. another 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Top with paprika or chili powder. Serve hot.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds along with cumin seeds.
Add a 1/2 tsp garam masala for added flavor. (Mom keeps the spices at the minimum to let the veggies shine. :))
Omit tomatoes for a dryer version.
Add a 1/4 cup or more soaked red lentils along with potatoes. Nutritional values based on one serving