Easy Smashed Avocado Chickpea Salad sandwich spiced with cumin and cayenne. Serve over soft fresh bread layered with greens and juicy tomatoes.
So many things happening this week. Mom Dad just left to visit my brother for a week and then head back to India. It will be days before I can get back into the cooking and blogging schedule. I had planned to cook most of the days for them this visit, but mom took over just after a few days. Thats just how it happens every time. Some things changed this year. Every year, I pick up some tricks or styles of cooking or recipes from Mom. This year Mom picked up some new things from me :). She hesitantly decided to try her hand at non dairy yogurt and then after the first 2 batches, she fell in love with it. She is now a pro at making fabulous tasting almond cashew yogurt. It sets beautifully every single time! We also made a few recipes from the Mains chapter in my book. Restaurant style sauces (often with veggies instead of tofu because of Mom’s thyroid issues) and Dad loved all the variety. He is a Dal Subzi kind of person. A Dal every single day keeps him very happy, but those sauces made him ask if something new was coming for lunch or dinner every day! I picked up more Dal recipes from Mom of course. Warm, delicious bowls of lentils.
I barely had time to make stuff for the blog. Getting back to posting with this easy spiced up avocado chickpea salad sandwich on chipotle spiced long buns. Add whatever you have to make this fabulous smashed chickpea avocado salad sandwich. Serve in a sandwich, or in tacos, or wraps, or as is on a bowl of greens and roasted veggies.
I bet chewie is going to miss my parents a lot too. Exactly at 8 pm every night he would sit in the corner where Dad sits on the dining table and if dinner was not served, he would keep barking to remind us that it is Dinner time. Then Dad would give him small pieces of his roti flatbread through dinner. He got tons of kisses from Mom. I will miss all the awesome food, daily hugs and kisses, coconut oil hair massages and so much more. the house is empty again during the day. Sigh, I miss you Ma n Pa.
More sandwiches from the blog
- 5 Minute Tofu “Egg” Salad Sandwich
- Buffalo Millet Roasted pepper sandwich
- Cauliflower Cheddar, pumpkin seed pesto grilled cheese
- Smashed smoky black bean, Nacho Cheese slices, sandwich
- More Chickpea recipes from the blog here.
Prep the bread, layer greens or tomatoes.
Mash the avocado and chickpeas well. Add onion, peppers, spices and mix in. Layer on the sandwich.
add a layer of juicy tomatoes or sprouts. serve!
Spicy Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 15 oz (425 g) can chickpeas drained or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/4 cup (40 g) finely chopped red onion
- 1 hot green chile finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (37.25 g) finely chopped tomato optional
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne/red chili powder
- a generous pinch of garam masala optional , or use ground chipotle pepper
- juice of 1 lime less or more to preference
- a generous dash of black pepper
- salt to taste
For the sandwich:
- Greens , tomatoes, sprouts, salt and pepper
- bread of choice
- In a bowl, mash the chickpeas and avocado until avocado is well mashed and most of the chickpeas are not whole.
- Add all the ingredients from onion through spices. Mix in. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Prep the sandwich bread by toasting if needed. Add a layer of greens or micro-greens of choice. Layer a good helping of the smashed chickpea avocado mixture.
- Add a layer of juicy tomatoes or sprouts and serve. Use this mash in sandwiches, tacos, wraps or salad bowl. Change up the spices for variation