Vegan Gingerbread Biscotti with cranberries, almonds, candied ginger. Easy Crispy Spiced Biscotti Recipe to dunk in a cup of tea. Drizzle with white or dark chocolate. Vegan Recipe. To double, use 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp baking soda, double everything else. Use more flour if needed to make a soft dough.
It is the time for ginger everything. These gingerbread biscotti are crunchy, mildly sweet, well spiced and fun to dunk in your favorite cup of tea of hot chocolate. I dunk these in our evening Masala Chai. Fancify the biscotti with melted white or dark chocolate drizzle or icing of choice. Or coat the ends in melted chocolate. These crisp biscotti cookies have cranberries, almonds and candied ginger. Use finely chopped nuts, ginger etc so that the biscotti are easier to slice. For a stronger molasses flavor, use 2 tbsp molasses and 2 tbsp nut butter.
I use nut butter in these biscotti. They can be made completely oil-free. To make these without nuts, use seed butter or tahini or use 2 tbsp oil. The recipe can be easily doubled. Melt some vegan white or dark chocolate and drizzle it on the biscotti. Wrap and gift!
More DIY gifts from the blog
- Mexican Hot chocolate Mix
- Indian Lentil soup in a Jar – Dal tadka Mix
- Cookie Mix in a jar
- Gingerbread Cake for 1 in a jar – GF
- Brownie Mix in a Jar.
Make the dough for the biscotti. Shape into a log and flatten into a somewhat rectangle. even out the edges.
Bake for 25+ minutes until the edges are set. Cool for 15 to 25 minutes. Then slice and bake again until crisp.
Cool completely and store. Drizzle with melted vegan chocolate or icing of choice. This recipe is very loosely adapted from Isa’s gingerbread biscotti.
Vegan Gingerbread Biscotti with cranberries, almonds, candied ginger
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup (61 ml) non dairy milk
- 2 tsp chia seed meal or 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar 1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 3 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tsp oil or use more almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 g) wheat or Spelt flour
- 1.5 to 2 tsp gingerbread spice or use 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, a generous dash of ground nutmeg, clove and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1 to 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 to 2 tbsp almond slivers or chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180ºc.
- In a bowl mix the molasses, milk and chia seed meal. Mix and let sit for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. The nut butter will take a minute to mix in.
- In another bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add dry to the wet and mix. Add in the cranberries, almonds, ginger. Mix and make a soft dough. If the dough is too sticky, add 1 tsp or more flour. If too dry, sprinkle a few drops of water at a time to knead in.
- Shape into a log and press down to make a flat rectangle about 9 by 4 inches.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes. The edges should be crisp and the center set but should have just a bit of give. Do not let it overbrown. Bake a few minutes longer if baking double recipe (2 logs).
- Cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Slice using a serrated knife. Place the biscotti on the side and bake at 300 degrees F / 150ºc until crisp. 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool completely. Dress with melted vegan chocolate or icing of choice. Store in a container on the counter for a bunch of weeks.