Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese Bake. Easy Creamy Pumpkin Sauce with pasta, topped with crisp sage and breadcrumbs. Use butternut or other squash puree for variation. Vegan Soyfree Recipe Nutfree option. Jump to Recipe
This Pumpkin Mac Bake is all things fall! Some sage is crisped with olive oil. The cheese sauce is pumpkin or butternut squash puree + sage + creamy and cheesy components all blended up. Cooked pasta is tossed with the luscious sauce then topped with breadcrumbs and more sage. Bake to golden and done!
This mac and cheese incorporates components from my popular Pumpkin Sage pasta. Its Easy, takes just 15 mins to put together and is flexible to your flavor and texture preference. Can be made without nuts. Adjust the sauce based on preference. Add more or less pumpkin, more non dairy milk and pumpkin for more sauce and so on. Lets make this gorgeous fall meal.
More Savory Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Sage Biscuits
- Pumpkin Sauce Chickpea Pizza
- Pumpkin Cornbread
- Pumpkin Sage pasta with Crisp Sage
- Pumpkin Donuts – so Moist
- Pumpkin ginger Snaps super popular
- 1 Bowl Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
You can use any squash puree in this bake. If using dried sage, use a mix of rubbed and ground, about 2 tsp rubbed and 1/2 to 1 tsp ground. Dried ground sage is generally a strong flavor as it gets compacted.
If you make this recipe, do let me know in the comments below, rate it and tag me on Instagram #veganricha.
Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese Bake
- 7 oz cooked pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup (40 g) finely chopped onion or shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup (59.15 g) sage julienned, divided
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 3/4 cup (183.75 g) pumpkin puree or use butternut puree for variation
- 1 3/4 cup (414.03 ml) non dairy milk such as almond, soy or cashew milk for creamier sauce
- 1 tbsp starch such as corn or arrowroot, or use flour
- 2 to 4 tbsp (4 tbsp) nutritional yeast for cheesiness. ( Easily omitted, or use 1 tsp miso for similar flavor)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 to 2 tsp (2 tsp) mustard (natural stoneground), less or more to preference, if using ground, use 1/2 tsp and add 1 tsp lemon juice
- additional flavors - dashes of cinnamon, smoked paprika, add tomato paste, some vegan cheddar
- 1/3 cup (78.86 g) breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to instruction on package, rinse in cold water and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 C).
- Add 2 tsp oil in a baking dish. Sprinkle the onion, garlic, a third of the sage and pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Bake for 6 to 8 mins.
- Meanwhile, blend the sauce ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Add the cooked pasta to the baking dish. Add the sauce and toss well. Add some sage and mix in.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining sage, salt and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Spread the breadcrumb topping on the pasta. Bake for 20 to 25 mins. Broil for a minute. Let it sit for a few mins before serving.
- To freeze: Bake the mac with half the breadcrumb topping for 20 mins, cool completely and freeze the container. Use foil to seal the top surface of the mac and cheese to avoid freezer burn, or transfer portions to containers whih fit the mac with the least air space on top.To reheat: Thaw overnight, add breadcrumb topping and bake for 15 mins or so until heated through and golden on top.