This bread is headed to this weeks YeastSpotting!
I have made strawberry bread before . This one is made using the mixer, with no salt, no dairy. no egg, no butter for the ever brave and cheerful Mona who is on a low-iodine diet for her radio-iodine scan. Lots of prayers for her and hope that her scan is super clean! Die you cancer cells.. die!
I wasn't sure if I could use honey and dried spices, so I have kept this bread very minimalistic. I actually used only 2 Tablespoons sugar and that made the bread quite bland, so increase it to 3-4 Tablespoons. You can also add about 1 teaspoon non iodized salt and 2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice.
Its so difficult to be on a restricted diet. We dont realize how much crap there is in everything bought from the market. Even spices and spice mixes have salt. Making everything from your morning bread, to all meals and in between snacks, from scratch sure becomes a daunting task. Lets all be there for friends and family when they need us!
- 3-4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups fresh strawberries pureed with minimal water (the puree should be about 1.5 cups)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1.5 teaspoon quick rise yeast and .5 teaspoon regular active yeast
- 2/3 cup oil (canola)
- 1 Tablespoon oil for greasing
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon non iodized salt(i dint have this)
- Warm the water and add yeast to it. Let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Grease the mixer bowl and add the flours.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and the yeast mixture and knead for 10-12 minutes(2-4 minutes then scrape and so on). Add more water if needed. The strawberries will keep giving out their moisture, so try to keep the dough a little on the dry side.
- Keep the dough in a well greased bowl, covered for about 1.5 hours to rise.
- Punch the dough to remove excess air and shape it into a loaf using the boule technique by pulling on all sides and tucking them under. Use some oil on your palms and some flour to avoid the stickiness. The dough will be stickier than usual, because of the extra moisture of the strawberries.
- Place loaf in a well greased pan, cover with a towel, and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake bread at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until it sounds nice and hollow!
- The crust will feel hard when taken out of the oven, but an hour later it will soften up nicely.. because of the strawberries!!
- Enjoy toasted with anything, at any time of the day!