Another Strawberry bread! This one is a whole wheat loaf made with cooked beet and strawberry puree. For Other versions of strawberry breads see here .
- 2/3 cup bread flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 organic egg( can be substituted with 1 teaspoon vegan butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5-6 large strawberries
- 1/2 medium beet (peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Puree the strawberries and beet together using a little water if needed.
- Boil the puree with 3 tablespoons raw sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg for 5-6 minutes until it thickens a little. You can use this as pancake topping as well!
- Warm 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon sugar and add yeast to it. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add in the flours, salt, vital wheat gluten, egg, oil and puree and knead into a soft dough. Knead for at least 5 minutes and use more flour or water if necessary. The syrupy puree will make the dough a bit sticky.
- Place dough in a well oiled container where it can double in volume. Spritz top of the dough with oil spray and Cover with damp towel and let rest for 2 hours.
- Take dough and shape into a rectangle. Then roll it up and place in bread pan with seam side down. Spritz top with water then oil and cover with damp towel.
- Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 for another 10 or 15 until bread sounds hollow.
- Cool bread completely before slicing!