Beet and Strawberry Wheat Loaf. A whole wheat loaf made with cooked beet and strawberry puree. Delicious toasted for breakfast. Jump to Recipe
Another Strawberry bread! This one is a whole wheat loaf made with cooked beet and strawberry puree. For Other versions of strawberry breads see here .
Beet And Strawberry Bread
- 2/3 cup (83.33 g) bread flour
- 2/3 cup (80 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 flax egg (can be substituted for 1 teaspoon vegan butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 4 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5-6 (5 ) large strawberries
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium beet peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) nutmeg
- Puree the strawberries and beet together using a little water if needed.
- Boil the puree with 3 tablespoons raw sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg for 5-6 minutes until it thickens a little. You can use this as pancake topping as well!
- Warm 1/4 cup (60ml) water and 1 tablespoon sugar and add yeast to it. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add in the flours, salt, vital wheat gluten, flax egg, oil and puree and knead into a soft dough. Knead for at least 5 minutes and use more flour or water if necessary. The syrupy puree will make the dough a bit sticky.
- Place dough in a well oiled container where it can double in volume. Spritz top of the dough with oil spray and Cover with damp towel and let rest for 2 hours.
- Take dough and shape into a rectangle. Then roll it up and place in bread pan with seam side down. Spritz top with water then oil and cover with damp towel.
- Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 for another 10 or 15 until bread sounds hollow.
- Cool bread completely before slicing!
- Total time does not include 2 hours proving time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving