I had planned to make some zesty lemon buns or loaf last week. Finally, got to it this week. The following measurement yields 2 mini loafs. Its a soft, squishy and lemony yeast bread! This can be shaped into small balls as well and placed an inch apart to make dinner rolls/buns.
This one is a keeper.. a refreshing mildly sweet bread with endless possibilities.. It makes for a great snack with Jams and Marmalade, or fresh tomatoes,basil and cheese. I am going to add some candied ginger or dried berries/raisins to it next time!
One Year Back: No-Iodine Strawberry Bread!!
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons quinoa coarsely ground
- 2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- 4 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil or butter
- about a cup water
- 1.5 teaspoons quick rise yeast
- Warm 1/2 cup water, add sugar and yeast to it. Let rest for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in the quinoa flour or coarsely ground quinoa, 3/4 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour, salt, zest, lemon juice, oil and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in more warm water or bread flour if needed to make into a soft not too sticky dough.
- Place dough in well oiled container where it can double in volume. Spritz top of dough with water and cover with heavy towel.
- Let dough rise for 1.5 hours.
- Using little flour, knead the dough and shape into an inch thick 2 rectangular shapes. Roll up the rectangle and place the loaf seam side down in the mini loaf pans.
- Spritz top with water. Sprinkle some poppy seeds on top(optional). Press them a bit then spritz top with oil spray. Cover the pans with towel and let rise for 45 minutes
- Bake at 365 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool before slicing! This soft and refreshing minis are headed to Susan's Weekly YeastSpotting!
Nutrition Facts : 24 mini slices in 2 loafs
Amount per serving (per mini slice)
Water 1.25 g
Carbohydrate* (71%) 7.32 g
Protein (12%) 1.4 g
Total Fat (17%) 0.8 g
Monounsaturated 0.39 g
Polyunsaturated 0.25 g
Saturated 0.06 g
Cholesterol 0.43 mg
Dietary Fibre 0.61 g
Vitamin A 1.01 IU
Thiamin 0.07 mg
Riboflavin 0.07 mg
Niacin 0.82 mg
Pantothenic acid 0.13 mg
Vitamin B6 0.02 mg
Folate 23.97 mcg
Vitamin E 0.14 mg ATE
Calcium 3.26 mg
Iron 0.52 mg
Magnesium 7.17 mg
Phosphorus 24.3 mg
Potassium 33.82 mg
Sodium 2.31 mg