Super Fun Slider Alert! Some beet and bean patties served topped with tomatoes, basil or baby greens between multigrain olive oil buns (recipe coming up). We also added some cashew basil pesto which I had made a day before. You can use any sauce of choice! Vegan mayo, tahini or chipotle or bbq! Or good ol Ketchup! or spicy Sriracha! or even better Some Cilantro Chutney!
For more yummylicious veggie burger ideas, please do check out LunchboxBunch’s Veggie burger Test Kitchen . Kathy is such an inspiration to cook healthy plant based meals and amazing ideas for all meals, snacks, desserts and what not!
Beets are an amazing source of folate, manganese, potassium, fibre and contain powerful nutrient compounds that help protect against heart disease, birth defects and certain cancers, especially colon cancer. They do have a very distinct metallic taste and these burgers are one of the fun ways to hide it !
You can make these mini cutlets into bigger patty for a burger as well. Just bake for 7-10 minutes longer. You can also add leftover bean curries like Chole (garbanzo bean curry or black eye pea curry) to the patty. Top these with favorite greens, slaw, sauces, herbs and anything and everything:)!!
Makes 8 small patties.
- 1/2 medium beet, peeled and grated/shredded
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans/chickpeas(washed and drained if canned, cooked till soft after soaking overnight, if dry beans)
- 1/2 medium potato boiled(1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup oats , coarsely crushed/blended
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic(3-4 cloves)
- 1 Tablespoon thick tomato paste or pureed roasted tomato.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder/chili flakes/black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chole/chana masala powder (See Notes) or garam masala or spice mix(cajun or Mediterranean) of choice.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- In a bowl, add grated beet, mashed garbanzo beans, mashed potato. Mix and mash well.
- Add in the salt, olive oil, tomato paste and spices. Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- The mixture will get a little damp because of the salt and spices. Add half of the ground oats and mix well.
- Add more oats if needed to get the mixture to a dry enough state to make flat balls/ patties.
- Press the patties on the remaining oats on a plate, to stick the coarse oatmeal on both sides.
- Place patties on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F, for 15-20 minutes or until the patties start to feel crisp on the outside.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce, or top some greens or in sliders, or cool on rack and store in refrigerator for 2-3 days! Have a fun meatless Tuesday!
Notes: Chana/Chole Masala Powder Recipe: Dry roast and grind a teaspoon each of dry pomegranate seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, with 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon powder,black peppercorns and 1 dry red chili. Or you can buy it from any Indian Spice store!.
This cutie is heading to Ricki’s Wellness Weekend Event at DietDessertDogs!