If you know me, you know I absolutely do not like okra(bhindi). I think it has something to do with the texture and the gooeyness. And if you know my husband, you know that he absolutely lovvvves okra. huh!
Well, fear not. you can make this dish without tasting it ! A simple fun and super yummy crisp bhindi with pickle spices.
Here are some dishes I've posted before using pickle spices! The Indian pickle spice combination is a must try!
Ingredients: serves 1
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1.5 cups cut okra(bhindi, smaller okra are better, the bigger ones have big seeds and are tough)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes/chili powder or to taste
- Pickle spice:
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds(saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds(jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds(kalonji)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds(methi)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds(dhania)
- Dry roast the pickle spices on medium heat, stirring continuously for a minute.
- Grind and keep.( You can make a bigger batch of this spice mix and keep for 2-3 months! Toss chunky veggies with this spice mix for a quick side of vegetables!)
- In a pan, add oil, heat at low-medium heat and spread oil all over the pan.
- Drop in the cut okra. The pan should be big enough to accommodate the cut okra without much overlap.
- Sprinkle the salt, chili and desired quantity of pickle spice mix on the okra to evenly top all pieces.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and mix well, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, partially covered, on Low heat till desired crispiness is achieved
- Serve hot as side with any Indian meal (flat bread, lentil soup) or top any rice dish or eat as you like it.! Simple and yummy(according to hubbs)!!:)
This simple okra is heading to Ricki's Wellness Weekend!!