Remember these fun Beet Oats Chickpea Patties! with those mini buns to make fun sliders!
These are those quick and mini buns! Sometimes I add little wheat flour and other times I use only bread flour for white buns. Most times I am short on time, so I use this quick one rise recipe. You can let them rise twice the usual bread way too.
Seen below with the Beet Oats Chickpea Patties.
The recipe is for one rise with a little wheat flour. I also sneak in a tablespoon or more of whole grain cereal mix, which after cooking expands to 3-4 Tablespoons. But you cant see the grain in this almost white bun! Prep time about 10 minutes, rise time 35 minutes and bake time about 20 minutes.
For a more wheat bun, use 3/4 cup wheat flour and 1/3 cup bread flour. you might need a little more water for a soft dough.
I have to bake up some fun Bread loaves, some fall versions!. Our fall started with some thunderstorms and the temps going 30 degrees up and down within a few hours, in the last few days.. Hope it settles down soon, as my allergies are going all wonky on me with the sudden pressure changes!
Ingredients:6-8 buns depending on size
- Cook the hot cereal in 1/2 cup of boiling water for 5-7 minutes or until tender. All of the water might not be absorbed.
- Let the mixture cool a little to about warm to touch. Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in the flours and rest of the ingredients and give a mix for a few seconds. (For a more wheat bun, use 3/4 cup wheat flour and 1/3 cup bread flour. you might need a little more water for a soft dough.)
- If the dough looks too dry, add a little water and knead.
- Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes by hand or in mixer, scraping sides every 2 minutes if using a stand mixer. add more bread flour or water in little quantities if needed.
- You can let this dough sit in a covered container for an hour for the first rise and then shape into balls and let rise again for 30 minutes, Or directly go to the next step.
- Divide dough into equal parts(or parts half the size of bun size you want) and roll into a ball pull and tuck under) and place on parchment on baking sheet, an inch apart.
- Spritz the top with water, sprinkle sesame seeds or seeds of choice,then spritz oil spray, and cover with a towel.
- Place it in a warm place or warm oven for 35-40 minutes or until doubled.
- Remove towel and bake at preheated 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow.
- Remove buns from sheet, spritz a fine mist of water and then oil on top and let cool on rack.
- Pull the buns apart, dip in some herbed olive oil and enjoy as is! or slice into halfs and use for your favorite burger! Buns ready in just about an hour! Have a fun day!