I was going to post these fritters sometime later this week.. But realized that the Vegan Mofo Iron Chef Chickpea Challenge is open only till tomorrow! So as well put the post up.. Mofo Post 8!. Apple Chickpea flour Fritters/Fries! Who needs any potato fries anymore!
Apple covered in some thick and spicy Chickpea batter and fried to a crisp golden brown. Also pictured above are some broccoli florets fried in the same batter.
I made some Chilla for breakfast too today, but no pictures:(. Chilla is a thick Chickpea batter crepe, which can be made thicker to sub as an omelette or thinner like a crisp crepe,.. spiced up with indian spices and scallions, onions, bell peppers, cilantro, tomato and other veggies can be added. I will hopefully take pictures and put a post up later in the month. These apple fries are deep fried, so I have to try a baked version sometimes to make them healthier!
Till then, Have an amazing Sunday!
- 4 Tablespoon of chickpea flour(garbanzo bean flour/besan)
- 1 Tablespoon oats (omit this if you dont have glutenfree oats)
- 1 Tablespoon rice flour
- 2/3 teaspoon salt(or to taste)
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of asofetida(hing)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes or to taste, or 1 green chili
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds(Ajwain)
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 3-4 mint leaves or cilantro leaves
- 4-5 Tablespoons water
- 1 apple chopped into long slices/fries
- Oil for frying
- In a blender combine all ingredients except apples and oil to fry.
- Blend into a thick pasty puree/batter( adjust water and chickpea flour to get the thick consistency, water needed will depend on the flours used). For a simpler batter, just mix chickpea flour, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, salt and pepper!.
- Drop apple slices into the batter and mix well to coat.
- Fry in medium-high hot oil for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally till the batter becomes darker than its color, slightly brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup or cilantro Chutney! Top with Chaat masala or rock salt and some red chili powder for added fun! Happy Sunday!
Mofo Weekly Round up...In case you missed any of the fab posts from this week.. :)