Yay, it is that time of the month again! November is Squashlove month! and We are having a blog hop all through november for yumm squash dishes!
I am starting off squash love with my mom's dal recipe with Lauki (opo squash/bottle gourd).. A simple thick soup, can be served as is with some crusty bread, or with Basmati rice or as a side in an Indian meal with flat bread(roti), pickles and a dry veggie preparation(subzi).
Opo Squash/Calabash/bottle gourd/Long melon/Lauki/Doodhi is a vine grown for its fruit, which can either be harvested young and used as a vegetable, or harvested mature, dried, and used as a bottle, utensil, or pipe. For this reason, the calabash is widely known as the bottle gourd.
A Note about spices used for tempering(Tadka) Indian Daal soups. The same Daal/lentil/beans can pick up a completely different taste with different spices. Here are some combinations I use, Fennel (Saunf) and Nigella (kalonji)seeds compliment each other, or a combination of mustard and cumin seeds, or mustard and coriander seeds, or cumin and carom(Ajwain) seeds. For other variations, add a bay leaf and a clove(Laung) or 2, Or some garam masala. Garnish with fresh cilantro, or shredded coconut or lemon juice. I like fennel with whole lentils,(red and mung bean). and coriander and mustard in yellow lentils.
- Soak the lentils in warm water for an hour to overnight.
- In a pressure cooker or pan, heat the oil on medium heat until hot on medium low heat.
- Add mustard(raee) seeds and after a few seconds of sputtering, add cumin(jeera) and nigella(Kalonji) seeds.
- Add in the asofetida(hing) and curry leaves and mix.
- Add in the chili, turmeric, ginger and garlic and cook till garlic is golden brown.(1-2 minutes)
- Add in squash and rinsed soaked daal(pigeon pea), water, salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar(optional). You can also add in 1 medium chopped tomato.
- Mix well. Cook for 2 full whistles in pressure cooker or Cook covered for 30-35 minutes if in pan.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve with basmati rice or as a side with Roti, pickles, vegetable stir fry dishes and a salad of onions and cucumbers tossed in lemon juice, salt and black pepper!. Theres your complete indian meal!
- Serve as soup with warm poppy dinner rolls with lime juice, olive oil, and garam masala garnish. Comfort food on a cool evening!. Have an awesome day everyone!
I am co-hosting this blog hop along with
Baker Street | Anuradha : @bakerstreet29Bloc De Recetas | Salomé : @blocderecetasBon à croquer | Valerie : @valouthCafe Terra Blog | Terra : @cafeterrablogCake Duchess | Lora : @cakeduchessElephant Eats | Amy Food Wanderings | Shulie : @foodwanderingsHobby and More | Richa : @betit19Georgie Cakes | Gorgie : @georgiecakesMike’s Baking | Mike : @mikesbakingMis Pensamientos | Junia : @juniakkMy Twisted Recipes | Dudut : @mytwistedrecipeNo One Like Crumbley Cookies | T.R : @TRCrumbleyQueens Notebook | Elizabeth : @mango_queenSimply Reem | Reem : @simplyreemSkip To Malou | Malou : @malou_nieveraTeaspoon Of Spice | Serena : @tspcurryThe Daily Palette | Annapet : @thedailypaletteThe Professional Palette | Regan : @profpalateThe Spicy RD | EA : @thespicyrdVegan Miam | Rika : @veganmiam
Please join in on the #squashove fun by linking up any squash recipe from the month of November 2011. Don't forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #squashlove event! The twitter hashtag is #squashlove :).