General Tso’s Tempeh. vegan glutenfree

This is non fried version of the General Tsos saucy Tempeh with a citrusy twist. Add some blanched Broccoli or bok choy to it for a bigger portion and some greens. You know who reads my blog on her Iphone these days? My mom! She has one from her visit here in october and she is adept at all things I- … Ipad, Iphone. She reads the blog and gets her own creative ideas and makes things.. She saw my Naan post and made some with baking powder, yogurt and whole wheat flour and surprised Dad!

I usually either marinate the tempeh for a few hours or cook it in broth, for a more flavorful result. Tempeh and soy sauce or other sauces can have gluten. Use glutenfree version to make it gf. You can use Tofu or bean patty cubes instead of Tempeh.
Also, Thank you Laura from GlutenfreePantry for the Liebster award!
Some other versions to help use Tempeh to sub meat.. Try the Tempeh Seekh Kebab patty, its a long recipe, but with all the spices and crumbled tempeh, there is no beany taste or texture! Or Try some of the Indian curries like Kadhai Tempeh and Cauliflower.
Method: Serves 1.
In a deep medium pan, add 3/4 cup of cubed Tempeh(4 oz), 1/2 cup water, 2 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon orange juice( I used freshly squeezed Satsuma juice), 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon raw sugar. Mix well and cook covered on low heat, until all liquid is absorbed(12-15 minutes).You can also marinate the tempeh in the mix for half an hour before cooking.
In another medium pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil and heat on medium heat.
Add the cooked tempeh and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes until some sides are brown/crisp.
Add 2 garlic cloves chopped, and 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger and cook for half a minute.
Add the following
1+ Tablespoon soy sauce/tamari
2 teaspoon raw sugar
2 teaspoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes or Sriracha to taste
1 teaspoon white wine or rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sherry(optional)
2-3 teaspoons vegan hoisin sauce to taste (I used just about 2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water(depending on your preference of quantity and consistency of sauce).
Mix well to coat and cook on low-medium heat until the sauce thickens(5-7 minutes). Adjust spice and Sauces if needed to taste.(depends on the sauce brands, each has different flavor depth)
Serve hot with a cup of white or brown rice, topped with chopped green onions/scallions and a slice of mandarin orange.
You can add blanched/steamed broccoli to the pan once the tempeh is browned and continue with the rest of the steps. Other veggies that can be added.. bok choy, carrots. I was out of broccoli, since hubbs wanted the pickle spice Broccoli curry day before:)
The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled, add red pepper flakes to taste and you might need more cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
This year, lets reduce our plastic dependence. Reuse, Reduce and Recycle. 85% of consumer plastic waste ends up in Landfills or elsewhere in the US. A good amount of that ends up in the Oceans. Over 7 million tons of plastic in the Pacific, spanning an area twice the size of texas, destroying our oceans and harming our food chains. Read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Want More Delicious Recipes to Your Inbox?

Comments

Yeah, I can’t watch that video. Before I fractured my foot, I used to walk down to the beach several times a week and it would always irk me at how litter was strung along the shore. People are really disgusting at times. It also make me realize how wasteful I am. I found myself walking, apologizing to the ocean for how badly not only I, but everyone else, has treated her so unkindly. We all really need more awareness of this. xo

Oh I can’t wait to try this. I LOVE tempeh, and am always looking for new recipes to use it. I can eat it cold, right out of the package. Good stuff!

This tempeh reminds me of sweet and sour tofu! I’m going to try this soon D. I just had tempeh a couple of days ago from a Muslim stall. It was cooked in sambal chili and tomato paste. Delicious! I can imagine how your recipe tastes!

Thank you Reshmi, Priyanka and Aarthi!

Haha Gigi, I think mom is currently enjoying herself with all 3 nagging children out of the house. No more kid duty for her!

Thanks Soni, do let me know when you do!

After all my years as a strict vegetarian, tempeh is the only soy product I liked (loved, actually). This recipe sounds so wonderful! Since I’m questioning the quality of the local chinese food restaurants lately, I’ve been trying to accumulate recipes for my favorite dishes so I can make them at home. General Tso is at the top of that list. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

Thanl you Elizabeth, Sylvia, Laura@arofcookingrealfood!

Deeps, Tempeh is fermented soybean patty. you can use tofu too.

Thank you Misty, CrazyEarthMama!

Thanks for trying it out Jeff and thank you the feedback. My tastes are a bit milder..I am glad you adjusted the sauces and made it your own!

Turned out really good, although not necessarily what I would describe as the typical “General Tso’s”… This was less sticky and sweet. But good. Also, I did have to add more cornstarch, and seeing that the sauce called for so much water, I scaled that back by about half. All in all, very successfully tasty, though.

Thank you for trying it out Andrew and the feedback.. I corrected the water content for the sauce.
    It is a bit different that the real gen tsos. a less oil and thinner sauce version!

10. Anonymous says

Many Chinese dishes are very oily, heavy, and are focused on flavor. I personally like the taste of tempeh, so this recipe was perfect for me! I didn’t have any hoisin sauce or ginger, but I used a miso ginger paste. Since I doubled the recipe (for 8oz of tempeh), I used a whole garlic bulb (I really like garlic!). I added less than a half cup of water and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. The result? A delicious, flavorful tempeh stir fry! The sauce was thick like the Chinese dishes I would order at restaurants and the flavor was not overbearing. It was so delicious, thank you for this recipe! I served my tempeh over black lentils and steamed vegetables! Yum!