Happy Monday before the big gameday!
May I suggest these burgers for the big day. Black beans and amaranth with smoky spices and red bell pepper. Patted up into fat patties and baked. Served on home made multigrain burger buns, with slices of juicy tomato and red onions and topped with Roasted red bell pepper sauce. Of course there needs to be some cilantro too!
The patties are gluten-free, soy-free, corn-free and can be made oil-free. Serve them wih gf buns or without for a gluten-free meal. They have Amaranth toasted and cooked with just enough water, added to black beans, red bell pepper and mashed up with taco spices. The patties are 2 inches, hence the taller looking burgers. You can make larger patties.
Amaranth grain in the patties is this tiny cute grain packed full of high quality protein, calcium, iron, b6, and lot of other nutrients! Black beans are rich in folate, protein, b1. With the beans and all the spices, amaranth adds texture to the patties without adding much of its own taste hence working very well for these burgers. The lightly sweet roasted red pepper sauce and juicy tomatoes work beautifully with the smoky and quite spicy patties.
I added a Print button to the blog(finally). It is on the top of every post with the Pinit button. You can choose to add or remove images and remove text before printing.
I have to figure out a set up for black background pictures in the new house. More windows, means more light from many directions! And not a perfect picture. Le sigh.
More Burgers and Sammishes
Lentil Veggie BBQ Burger with Mango Slaw
Sweet Potato Adzuki Bean Sliders with Dill aioli
Baked Tempeh Fritter patty Burger
Grilled sammish with Buffalo Millet and creamy ranch
Mushroom Frittata Hashbrown Sandwich
Grilled Nacho Cashew Millet Cheese Sandwich with sweet potato and pea pesto
Cook the amaranth.
Meanwhile, assemble the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Add cooked amaranth.
Mix and mash, then add brown rice flour to help make patties.
Press a handfull of the mixture through a 2 inch cookie cutter.
Bake until crisp on the outside.
Top the bun with greens, a juicy tomato slice, patty, a good amount of the red bell pepper dressing, red onion rings and cilantro.
Smoky Amaranth Black Bean Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper sauce
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, nut. can be made oil-free. Burger patties are gluten-free
Makes 6, 2 inch by 3/4 inch patties
1/4 cup dry amaranth
2 tsps extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- ¼ cup dry amaranth
- scant ¾ cup water
- a genenerous pinch of salt, thyme, smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans (15 oz ,about 1.5 cups cooked)
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped (use less or more or omit per spice preference. I liked the added heat from the fresh Serrano peppers)
- ½ tsp each of garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika, cumin powder, chipotle pepper powder, onion flakes, dried parsley
- 2+ Tbsp brown rice flour or bread crumbs or regular flour
- 2 tsps extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk or thin cashew cream
- ¼ loaded cup roasted red peppers
- ¼ tsp each of salt, garlic powder
- 2-3 slices of pickled Jalapeno (optional)
- a dash of tabasco chipotle sauce or hot sauce(optional)
- Juicy tomato slices
- Red onion slices/rings
- cilantro leaves
- lettuce or greens
- Cook the amaranth: Wash and drain ¼ cup amaranth. (You can skip the washing and directly cook the grain too). Heat a deep pan at medium, add washed amaranth to the pan and toast for half a minute. Add water, salt, thyme, paprika, mix and cook on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low once it starts to boil. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the grains are tender. Stir once or twice towards the end to avoid sticking.
- Meanwhile make the red pepper sauce: In a blender, blend everything under sauce. Taste and adjust.
- Back to patties: Chop up the red pepper and chili, In a bowl, add black beans, peppers, salt and spices. Add the cooked amaranth and oil and give everything a good mix. Mash a bit to mash the black beans. Taste for spice and salt. Now add the brown rice flour to the mixture to make it less sticky. Add less or more just enough to handle the mixture without it being a sticky mess. Use a cookie cutter and press a good dollop of the mix into and through it to shape the patties on parchment lined baking sheet. Even them out and brush a little oil on top.(optional). I used 2 inch cookie cutter as my buns were 2.5 inches. and got 6 patties.
- Bake at pre-heated 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice up the topping veggies and greens and set up the plates and buns for assembly. Grab your favorite drink and catch up on Instagram.
- Assemble the burgers. Layer lettuce/greens, a fat juicy tomato slice, hot patties, a good load of the roasted red pepper sauce, red onion slices, cilantro and bun.
This burger is being shared at Allergy free Wednesdays. Rickis wellness weekend
Blackfish the documentary, is about Orcas kept in captivity in unnatural ways, imprisoned for life for entertainment. The documentary follows Tilikum’s story to shed light on the dangers and wrongness of keeping a species in captivity.
Watch Blackfish on Netflix here.
Average lifespan of Orca’s in the wild is 50-90 years. An Infographic listing the lifespans of orcas in Seaworld.