These Tempeh fritters are made with chickpea flour are Indian spiced batter. Serve as is or as a slider. Vegan Recipe , gluten-free option Jump to Recipe
Since the superfun Apple Chickpea Fries were such a hit.. Here is another Chickpea creation!!
VeganMofo Post 10! Tempeh cooked in Garam masala broth, then dipped in spicy chickpea batter and shallow fried! Serve these as is, as a snack with ketchup, or top some baby greens salad!
Burger seen below Topped with some tomatoes, green chutney and Sriracha or sauce of choice. You can serve some Apple fries on the side.:)
Tempeh is naturally fermented Soybean Patty. We usually get 3 grain Organic Tempeh which has Brown Rice, Barley and Millet. Tempeh is tastier than Tofu, least processed, naturally fermented and healthier form of Soybean. Use gluten free only soy Tempeh on gluten free bread, to make this burger glutenfree!
Some other fun Tempeh Burgers/Sandwiches posted before
Cajun Spiced Tempeh Patty topped with grilled Asparagus, Onions and Grilled Watermelon and Peaches! and
Tempeh Chickpea Fritter Patty Burger. Vegan
These Tempeh fritters are made with chickpea flour are Indian spiced batter. Serve as is or as a slider
Servings: 2 servings
For Steaming Tempeh Strips
- 4 oz (113.4 g) tempeh 4 1/2 inch thick strips.
- 3/4 cup (187.5 ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garam masala or spice blend of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) ginger paste
- 3 Tablespoon of chickpea flour garbanzo bean flour/besan
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) piece of ginger
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- Oil for shallow frying
- In a pan, add all the ingredients under for steaming tempeh strips. Mix well and add tempeh strips.
- Cook on low heat covered until Tempeh doubles in size and dry. (15 minutes)
- Prepare batter by blending all ingredients together to get a thick batter.
- Dip warm tempeh strips in the batter and shallow fry in a tablespoon or 2 of oil on medium heat in non stick pan(else the batter will stick). or deep fry them.
- Cook 3-5 minutes each side until crisp.
- Serve as is with ketchup, mayo, cilantro chutney or make a burger with baby greens, tomatoes, apples, grilled bell peppers, cilantro chutney or sriracha!
Nutritional values are based on one serving
Tempeh Chickpea Fritter Patty Burger. Vegan
Amount Per Serving
Calories 209 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 150IU3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
These Tempeh Fritters are heading to Veggie Converter’s Meatless Monday!, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Hearth and Soul Blog hop
This is the first time I’ve made tempeh I just thought was amazing (discounting tempeh bacon). Yum. Definitely going to make it again.
Mary @ Fit and Fed
This looks like a great recipe to add to the veggie burger file. I already love tempeh sloppy joes, I’m sure this tempeh burger fried in a spicy began batter takes it up a notch.
Happy Go Lucky Vegan
This looks awesome! I love garam masala – and it was so clever to combine it with tempeh and chickpeas. I’ll have to try this one!
Your vegan burger looks really good! Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.
Thanks Savannah! I like the burger more than the brownies.. gasp!..i am a savory kind of person!:)
That looks absolutely delicious! I want one for lunch! I’m going to go check out those brownies now! I’ll probably want them for lunch too! Nom Nom nom!
Thank you Arthi and Farwin! Sure will check you out!!
Discovered you from gawker and glad I did.This looks healthy and looking for burger fillings for my kids.Following you for more vegan delights…
First time here……I love all kinds of burgers and stuff like that..this looks really good…Following your blog straight away..If you have time Check out my blog too..
I am having a Giveaway..
Thank you for the follow Plateful
delicious looking burger lovely meal
This sounds delectable and healthy. I too have a chickpeas burger on my space.
Glad to have found you Richa, gonna follow you pronto 🙂
Thank you Gigi!
Thanks Susmitha.. i guess you can replace the patty with tofu or seitan. or make your own tempeh:) that should be fun!
Sriracha and Tabasco are similar, just different chillies and some different spices.. both will work fine!
Thank you Jeni!
Thank you CatsofStripes..hope this burger does change your thoughts about tempeh!
Yep, what Jeni said! Must bookmark. Super yum. Thanx for posting.
That looks soooper yum!! I’m a huge fan of tempeh – the three grain kind in particular. 🙂
Sadly tempeh isn’t commercially available here in India yet. So I’ve been thinking of ordering some tempeh starter online and trying my hand at making some at home myself.
I’ve been hearing a lot about this sriracha sauce lately. Sounds so yummy! Is it better than tabasco?
That sounds so good. I have a love/hate relationship with tempeh but this may convert me.
These are getting made!
Haven’t tried tempeh.. Your pictures are very colorful…
Event: Serve It – Festival Potluck