I should call this Death by Chocolate Pie or Heaven in a Chocolate Pie :). There is chocolate, all smooth and delicious in the filling and chocolate in the crust. I added some cashew cream on top but really you can drizzle some melted chocolate and basically be in chocolate coma for the rest of the day. A very good coma I must say.
The filling is coconut milk and melted dark chocolate. The crust is almonds, oats, cocoa and just a little oil. Add more or less cocoa to the crust to chocolatey preference. You can make the filling with blended up silken tofu and melted chocolate as well. I like mine with coconut milk :). The filling melts in the mouth and the crust adds another punch of chocolate just when you thought the silky chocolate is all gone. Look at the slice below.. that filling and the crust! And this is perfect for Mother’s day too!
That’s it, no more chocolate recipes for a month. I need to do a no-chocolate cleanse to get over this one.
I am bringing this Vegan Chocolate Silk Pie to Ella’s virtual baby shower! If you haven’t stopped my Pure Ella before, do drop by to say hi. Ella’s space is filled with brightness, beauty and joy, happiness, hard work and fun.
Melt in my mouth! I was not going to take this bite photograph, then decided it looked too good to not. Hence, my messy plate 😉 also ignore my attempt at cashew cream piping. I don’t have any piping supplies.
This sudden turn of liking dark chocolate is going to be the bane of me this year. Even though I barely eat 1 helping in a day, when I make something, I have weeks when I crave some chocolate every day. And to imagine I would go years without any chocolate before :). mmm. chocolate.
A 5 yr old visitor ate one whole slice which was supposed to be shared with her mom. Let’s just say that we had an invisible trampoline in the house for the next 2 hours 😉
More awesome desserts on the blog.
Chocolate Chip Pudding Pie with Almond Date Crust. GF SoyFree
Pumpkin Mousse Layer Cake with Vanilla Sponge.
Current fave Chocolate chip cookie, Date Caramel Brownie Bars.
Tiramisu Cheesecake Brownie. GF
Dark Chocolate Silk Pie with Chocolate Almond Crust
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, soy, gluten, yeast. Can be made corn-free with a different starch.
Makes 1 9 inch pie dish
1/2 cup oat flour (ground certified gf oats)
3 Tbsp vegan semisweet chocolate chips
In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk. Add in the oils and mix until crumbs.
Notes: The filling is nut-free. Use a different crust to make the pie nut-free, or a neutral crust for less intense chocolate pie. Or use this raw Almond Date Crust for no-bake(Add cocoa powder).If you are sensitive to Oats, use any gluten-free flour blend or use sorghum + white rice flour to replace the oat flour.
- ½ cup oat flour (ground certified gf oats)
- ¾ cup almond flour (ground almonds, grind with some oats or starch for a finer grind)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (1 Tbsp more for dark chocolate crust)
- 1 Tbsp solid coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup ground raw sugar
- One 3 oz Theo 70% or 85% dark chocolate bar (2/3 cup or 3 oz chocolate)
- 3 Tbsp vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk. Add in the oils and mix until crumbs.
- Add the almond milk and mix into a smooth stiff dough. Roll out the dough between 2 parchment sheets to slightly larger than a 9 inch circle. Place in a greased pie pan and shape and seal edges. Chill for half an hour in the refrigerator. Prick holes. Bake for 16-17 mins at pre-heated 350 degrees F.
- Add coconut milk, cornstarch, sugar and cocoa powder to pan and whisk to mix the sugar well. Heat at medium heat and bring to simmering boil. The mixture will thicken as it starts to simmer. cook for another minute. total 8 to 9 mins. Take off heat and cool for a minute.
- Add the dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, coconut oil, vanilla let sit for a minute.
- Whisk until all the chocolate melts and gets smooth. Taste and adjust sweet at this point. Pour the mix into the baked and cooled pie shell. Chill for a few hours or Freeze for 1-2 hours to make it easier to slice. Slice, thaw slightly and serve. Decorate with cashew cream or whipped coconut cream.