This is an easy curried eggplant potato – Aloo Baingan recipe. I picked it up from Mom and have been making my version of it for many years. Some Indian veggie sides follow a similar recipe. Some whole spices roasted in oil, some ground coriander, turmeric and/or cayenne, add veggies, salt and some moisture and cook until tender. In this recipe, we use potatoes, eggplants and tomatoes and let it simmer until done to preference.
Some eggplants, especially the larger variety can take much longer to cook. Cube them small and cook them for 5 minutes before adding potatoes. Serve the Aloo Baingan with flatbread like Rotis, Parathas, Naan and Dal, or with rice, cooked grains. Add cooked chickpeas to make it into a meal.
More Sides from the blog. All gluten-free
- Bombay Potato and Peas
- Crunchy spicy Potatoes
- Garam Masala Potatoes
- Potatoes and Cauliflower – Aloo Gobi
- Cabbage and potatoes with burnt chili
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves, chopped (optional)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ inch ginger, minced
- 1 hot green chile, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 large potato, cubed small
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped small, or 8 or more small eggplants, quartered
- 1 large tomato, crushed, finely chopped or about 1 cup diced canned tomato
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ tsp salt
- cayenne (pure red chili powder) or garam masala to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add cumin and mustard seeds and cook them until cumin seeds change color and get fragrant. A few seconds or a minute depending on how hot the plan and oil are.
- Add curry leaves carefully. Add garlic ginger and chili and cook for a minute or until the garlic is golden.
- Add the coriander powder and turmeric and mix in. Add potatoes and eggplants and mix in.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and water and mix in. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir, reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the eggplants and potatoes are tender to preference. about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spice and mix in.
- Garnish with a good sprinkle of cayenne or garam masala or both, and cilantro and serve.
Add a dash of liquid smoke for a bharta(mashed eggplant) flavor profile.
Instant Pot: You can possibly make this in the IP. Follow steps 1 and 2 on saute. Add coriander and turmeric and tomatoes and mix in, cook for a minute. Add eggplant, potatoes, water and salt and cook on manual for 5 minutes. Natural release. Let me know if the timing works out.
Reading for the day
Jallikattu is a bull-vaulting event practiced in Tamil Nadu, India as a part of Pongal celebrations. It is a barbaric activity where the bulls are tortured in the name of tradition. Engulfed by screaming crowds, these frightened and terrified animals are chased, punched, jumped on, goaded and poked with sharp sticks and dragged to the ground. In such “bull taming festivals” bulls have known to have their eyes gouged out, tails snapped and ears torn.
In May 2014, the Supreme Court of India banned the practice, citing animal welfare issues. On 8 January, 2016, the Government of India (for political reasons) passed an order exempting Jallikattu from performances where bulls can not be used, effectively reversing the ban. However, because of petitions by AWBI, thankfully on 14 January, 2016, the Supreme Court of India upheld its ban on the event, leading to protests all over Tamil Nadu.
Jallikattu Events still are getting organized in parts of the country. How can we help? Report the events to the local government and FIAPO. Find the contact information and Read more about other actions here.