Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit Caribbean Black Bean Mango Wraps. These Burritos are packed with hot shredded jerk jackfruit, black beans, mango and cucumbers. Serve as wraps or make a sandwich or bowl. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. Can be gluten-free. Pin this post.
You know whats amazing, loads of flavor with not much effort. These wraps filled with spiced jackfruit and beans have a load of flavor and can be served up any which way. Make just the Jamaican jerk jackfruit and fill up sandwiches or a grilled quesadilla with greens or onions and vegan cheddar (I use daiya cheddar slices), make the beans and some rice and fill up a bowl and top with chopped mango or other fruit. Or wrap everything up for all the flavors together.
The Jackfruit is amply spiced with homemade Jamaican jerk seasoning. The Caribbean black beans are simple beans with onion garlic and some orange juice. Use any crunchy veggies, greens and sweet fruits and fill up tacos or wraps. Try Jackfruit also in my Easy Jackfruit Curry or Chipotle Garlic Jackfruit Tacos. I use young green jackfruit. Young Jackfruit is available in canned, fresh or frozen form in Indian or Asian Stores. It is available canned online on stores like amazon.com. Be sure to get young jackfruit in water or brine. Ripe jackfruit is too sweet and is generally used as dessert or served directly as fruit. Add it to your chia pudding or oatmeal if you get the ripe jackfruit accidentally.
More Jackfruit Recipes from the blog.
- Easy Jackfruit Curry
- Vegan Tinga bowl with Hearts of Palm, Chickpeas, Spanish Rice – Sub hearts of palm with shredded jackfruit.
- Pulled Butternut Squash Tacos. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe – sub shredded squash with jackfruit.
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Jackfruit Chickpea Coconut Stir Fry
- Chipotle Garlic Jackfruit Tacos.
Make some easy black beans
Cook the shredded jackfruit in jamaican jerk seasoning and broth, then continue to roast to dry them up a bit.
Layer up the beans, cilantro or baby greens, and jackfruit.
Something crunchy, something juicy.
Fold up and serve.
- 1 20 oz can young green jackfruit
- 2 tsp oil, divided
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ to ¾ tsp cayenne
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper
- a good dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice.
- 1 tsp or more lime juice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ to ½ tsp sugar or other sweetener
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans or 1.5 cups cooked
- ¼ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp salt ( or to taste, depends on the beans)
- 1.5 tbsp orange juice or 2 tsp lemon juice + ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Chopped mango
- sliced cucumbers or pickles
- cilantro or baby greens
- salt, pepper, lemon or lime juice
- Drain the jackfruit and wash well. Squeeze out the liquid really well by pressing the jackfruit pieces in a paper napkin. Shred in a food processor or thinly slice using a knife.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shredded jackfruit and all dry spices (or 1.5 tbsp or more premade jamaican jerk seasoning) . Cook for 2-3 mins or until the spices start to smell roasted.
- Add lime juice and water and sugar and cook partially covered for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the mixture is dry, taste and adjust salt and heat. Add in the 1 tsp oil and continue to roast the jackfruit until golden brown on some edges. Serve this in wraps, sandwiches, tacos, nachos.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. 4-5 mins.
- Add black beans, spices, water and orange or lime juice and simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Layer the black beans, then cilantro or chopped baby green, then a good helping of the jerk jackfruit, then cucumber and mango, lemon, salt and pepper. Fold into a burrito and serve.