Vegan Pizza Dip. Easy Pizza Dip with sauteed mushrooms, olives, pizza sauce and from scratch Vegan Cashew Mozzarella cream sauce. Cheesy and Stringy. Gluten-free Recipe. Can be soy-free.
SuperBowl is just around the corner. Sadly Seahawks wont be there this year and Russell will be missed.
I whipped up this Pizza dip in the half time of the last game. At the end of the video, Chewie was barking away because of the high energy of the last quarter. He knows when his daddy is worked up. We ate half of the dip with the warmed up mini wheat pita breads and later used the rest to make pizza grilled sandwiches! Dip between 2 slices, with some other veggies and greens thrown in, grill and serve.
There are layers of Pizza sauce, sauteed herbed mushrooms and onions, vegan mozzarella style cream sauce, layered with some tomato slices, olives and finished with fresh basil and pepper flakes. The cream sauce has starches that thicken and do their starchy thing during the baking. When the dip is hot out of the oven, there is a cheesy stringy texture and flavor all mixed up with the pizza sauce and mushrooms and olives. All the mess that a pizza dip should be.
More Gameday options from the blog
- Baked Garlic Fries with Garlic Tahini Sauce.
- Cucumber Turmeric hummus sesame Mint bites.
- Spicy Pepper Crisp Cauliflower bites with celery ranch
- Sweet Potato Fries (Baked) with Vegan Chipotle Ranch
This dip is Easy, Amazing, and versatile. Creamy cheesy mozzarella cream layered with loads of tomato sauce, If you make it, let me know how it turned out in the comments below and tag me on Instagram!! So Stringy…
- 1 12 oz jar pizza sauce (see quick saue recipe below)
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion
- 8 oz sliced white or cremini mushrooms or a combination with portabella and shiitake
- ¼ tsp dreid thyme
- ¼ tsp salt or more salt
- ¼ tsp pepper flakes
- ⅓ heaping cup raw cashews(soaked for 5 mins in warm water if needed)
- 1.5 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp potato starch or use more tapioca
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic, or 1 small raw garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp white miso (use chickpea miso to make soy-free or omit)
- ½ to ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp or more nutritional yeast
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp water
- Make the mushroom onion saute: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and toss well. Cook partially covered for 7 minutes. Add thyme, salt and pepper flakes and mix well. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until golden.
- Drain the cashews if soaked. Blend all the ingredients under mozzarella cream, Taste and adjust salt and tang and set aside. If you omitted the miso, you might need to add more salt. Prep the rest of the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a loaf pan, or other small baking dish, Add some of the pizza sauce and spread it out, then a some of the mozzarella cream. Distribute the mushroom mixture over the cream.
- Add another layer of pizza sauce, another layer of mozzarella cream. Sprinkle olives all over.
- Place tomato slices on top. Sprinkle salt, thyme or oregano.
- Bake at 400 deg F for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh basil and pepper flakes on top. Serve hot with crusty bread, garlic bread or pita bread. I use mini wheat pitas that have been warmed in the oven in the last 5 minutes of the dip bake time.
“We have this kind of arrogance, that 8 million other species are there just for us. They are at our disposal..”