Vegan Barbacoa Mushroom Tacos . These saucy Barbacoa Tacos are super easy and versatile. Use the sauce with beans, lentils or other shredded vegetables for variation. Vegan Barbacoa Recipe. Gluten-free Nut-free Soy-free Recipe.
These Saucy Tacos with Barbacoa mushrooms are perfect for the Summer. For these Barbacoa tacos, I use mushrooms as the vegan substitute. The Sauce for the tacos is made of guajillo chiles which add a gorgeous color and smoky sweetness to the sauce, some chipotle peppers for additional smokyness and heat, some spices and caramelized onions. The mushrooms are cooked for 30 minutes in the sauce to absorb all of the flavor and get tender. Try not to eat up all the mushrooms right from the pan!
You can also use other vegetables or beans with the sauce. Toss veggies in the blended sauce and bake until tender. Or simmer some black beans, chickpeas or lentils along with some chopped veggies in the sauce for 15-20 mins. Serve in tacos or make a Bowl with roasted veggies, onion, lime. Many options! Saucy, Juicy and amazing .
Barbacoa is a process of slow roasting meats that are served in tacos. The term has evolved over time to include fusion barbecue styles. Mushrooms make a great substitute to add texture and soak up the sauce. Jackfruit would also do very well with the sauce. Or just some beans/chickpeas/lentils simmered in the sauce. Make these Tacos to start the Summer.
More Tacos and Wraps from the blog
- Chile Lime Pinto Bean Fajita Tacos. This marinade is so good!
- Chipotle Garlic Jackfruit Tacos – Easy Instroduction to Jackfruit
- Vegan Tinga bowl with Hearts of Palm, Chickpeas, Spanish Rice
- Pulled Butternut Squash Tacos. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- Jackfruit Meatballs Tacos
- Jamaican Jerk Black Bean Tacos with Corn Salsa – This seasoning is great with any beans
If you make these Saucy tacos, do let me know in the comments how they worked out!
The pictured tacos came out mildly hot even with 2 chipotle peppers (chipotle peppers vary in heat). Guajillo is very mild. Remove seeds from chipotle peppers to control the heat if needed. Paprika can also be very mild to moderately hot. Use sweet paprika for lower heat. Adjust the heat to preference when you taste test. Barbacoa is generally mild. I added some cayenne towards the end.
Soak the Guajillo chiles. I got these from World Spice in Seattle.
Cook the onion and garlic.
Blend half of the onion mixture with the chile and other barbacoa sauce ingredients.
Cook the mushrooms in the same skillet for a few mins.
Add blended sauce and cook for 30 mins.
Saucy, juicy, spicy!
These tacos are lightly inspired from The Taco cleanse’s barbacoa. Serve with avoado guacamole, salsa topping of choice and crisp greens.
- 2 large guajillo chiles
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 7 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce (1 for less heat)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp smoked hot paprika or 1 tsp chili powder blend
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp or more salt
- ¾ cup water or veggie broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp sugar or maple - optional
- 8 oz sliced or chopped mushrooms (white, cremini or a combination with others)
- Avocado, salsa or onions, lime juice, pepper and salt
- Soak the guajillo chiles in hot water for 15 mins. Prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add bay leaf, onions, garlic and pinch of salt and cook until translucent. 5 mins.
- Transfer half of the onion mixture to a blender.
- Add mushrooms to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet and a good pinch of salt and continue to cook over medium heat.
- Remove the stem and seed box from the soaking guajillo chile. Add the chile to the blender. ** Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, except vinegar and lime, to the blender and blend until smooth. Add this blended sauce the skillet.
- Cover and cook for 25 to 30 mins until mushrooms are tender. Stir once or twice in between. Add more water if the sauce thickens too much. Add in the vinegar and lime and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Taste adjust heat, salt and flavor.
- Remove bay leaf. Serve over warm tortillas with avocado and chopped onion or salsa and baby greens of choice. Add a good dash of lime, freshly ground black pepper and salt and serve.
To make this with beans or lentils, Simmer the cooked beans or lentils in the sauce, uncovered for 15 mins. Then serve. You can also add some small chopped vegetables with the beans to the sauce.
To make this in Instant Pot: Follow steps 1 to 4 in saute mode. Then add the blended sauce (blend with ¼ to ⅓ cup water). Cook for 5 minutes manual, then quick release after 10 minutes.
For variation: Blend a tomato or 1 tbsp tomato paste with the barbacoa sauce.
Serve the barbacoa mushrooms with spiced black beans in each taco to make a filling meal.
Or make a Bowl meal with the beans, roasted veggies such as peppers and onion, and crunchy greens.