Vegan Cauliflower Gratin – Creamy, Spiced Cauliflower Casserole. No Bake Skillet Gratin or Bake with a garlic breadcrumb topping. Vegan Soy-free Recipe, Can be gluten-free and nut-free.
It is hot out here this week. It is also pretty ashy and humid with the many wildfires around (hope everyone is keeping safe) and difficult to heat up the house to bake. I made this gratin in a skillet for days like this and tested it out in the oven as well. The cream sauce is very versatile. I like Kashmiri garam masala(in my second book), Baharat(in my second book (Pre-order Now, starts shipping in 2 Weeks!!), Berbere or Jamaican Curry Blend in this cauliflower and the creamy sauce combination. You know me. Add spices of choice or just herbs.
The gratin is sprinkled generously with toasty breadcrumbs which have garlic and pepper flakes for a smoky heat. This crunchy garlicky topping is a must!
Amazing, Creamy and ready within 25 Minutes! Add other vegetables for variation.
More Easy 1 Pot Creamy meals from the blog
- Cauliflower Parmesan Pasta Bake – sliced cauliflower, baked then dressed in vegan mozz and baked over pasta
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with pumpkin cream sauce and crisp Sage
- Black pepper Mac and Cheese with Potato Carrot Cheese Sauce
- Cajun Cauliflower with Garlic Pasta – So Good!!
Creamy and amazing. Add more nutritional yeast, some black pepper, wine/lemon for a Cauliflower Mac.
Vegan Cauliflower Gratin - Creamy, Spiced Cauliflower Casserole. No Bake Skillet Gratin or Bake with a garlic breadcrumb topping. Vegan Soy-free Recipe, Can be gluten-free and nut-free.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 green chile chopped (optional)
- 2 cups cauliflower , 2 to 3 cups small-medium florets
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups or more chopped greens , I use chard and spinach
- 1/4 cup cashews blended with 1 cup water (blend for a minute, then rest for 2 and blend again until smooth)
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- 1 tsp sugar or maple (optional)
- 1 tsp spice blend of choice (1 use a 1/2 tsp ground cumin + kashmiri garam masala or Baharat Spice blend, See notes)
- 1 tsp herbs of choice , blend of oregano, thyme, sage
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chile and a pinch of salt and cool until translucent. Add cauliflower, water and 1/4 tsp salt. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
Add greens and mix in. Cover and cook until wilted (3 mins) and cauliflower is aldente.
Add cashew cream, salt sugar/maple, spices and herbs and mix in. Add other flavors if needed such as a 1 tbsp nutritional yeast for cheesiness, 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce or 1/2 tsp prepared mustard or additional depth in flavor.
Bring to a boil uncovered and simmer for another minute to thicken to preference. Taste and adjust salt and flavor, adding more salt or spices if needed. Adjust the consistency if too thick with water.
Meanwhile make the optional breadcrumb topping. Heat breadcrumbs, olive oil, salt, garlic and pepper flakes in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally until golden and toasted. 3-4 mins.
Sprinkle all over the cauliflower and take off heat. Serve hot.
To Bake: Cook the onion, garlic, chile in a skillet until translucent. Add this mixture, cauliflower, salt, spices and herbs to a baking dish. Add in the greens then add the cashew cream and a 1/4 cup water on the edges. Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover, mix in the breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, olive oil and sprinkle all over. Bake for another 10 minutes.
I like to use Kashmiri garam masala(in my second book), Baharat(in my second book), Berbere or Jamaican Curry Blend with this gratin. For a subtle flavor gratin, use nutritional yeast, wine or lemon, black pepper and 1 to 2 tsp herbs such as thyme, basil and sage. When using the stronger spice blends, I use a 1/2 tsp herbs.
To make it nut-free: Use pumpkin seeds instead of cashews + 1 tbsp flour and blend until smooth. Or use the sauce from my fettuccine alfredo.
Nutrition is 1 of 3 Serves