Vegan Scalloped Potatoes and Cauliflower with Jamaican Curry Spices. Curried Scalloped Potatoes. Vegan Potato Gratin. Easily made gluten-free and nut-free. Oil-free option
These Creamy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes are a quick, easy and crowd pleasing side. You can make these as decadent as you wish. I use almond milk and flour to make the creamy sauce that is well spiced with Jamaican Curry Spice Blend. I made up the Curry blend to my preference and it uses flavors from Jerk seasoning and the traditional Jamaican curry powder to get this amazing burst of flavor.
You will want to make double, triple batch of this blend and sprinkle it over everything! Just use whichever spices and herbs you have. There is tons of flavor with or without a few. Don’t let that long list of spices deter you. You need to make this atleast once! I dont use turmeric in my blend for a non yellow sauce. You can add turmeric. For a super quick Jamaican Curry Blend, use 1.5 to 2 tsp curry powder of choice and generous dashes of thyme, parsley, all spice, nutmeg and some lime zest. The topping is garlic, breadcrumbs and paprika. Use just garlic, or add some nutritional yeast for cheesy profile, or vegan parm. Yuhmmm.
More casseroles from the blog. This amazing Nacho Mac and Cheese Casserole, or a hearty Quinoa black bean cheddar casserole. Crowd pleasing Spinach florentine bake, and a holiday Sheldperd’s pie with chickpeas, veggies and sweet potatoes, Protein filled Spiced Lentil and Rice Casserole with Chickpea flour Dumplings.
This recipe is lightly inspired by Bryant Terry’s Curried Scalloped Potatoes.
If you make it do leave me a comment, or tag me #veganricha on Instagram! The recipe is easily doubled. Just double up the sauce ingredients. Adjust the flavor and spice during simmering if needed. Use all potatoes, or all cauliflower or other veggies. Add some curry spiced brown lentil layer in between to make this a meal.
Video: My Youtube Channel.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes and Cauliflower with Jamaican Curry Spices
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3.5 tbsp flour Use rice flour to make it gluten-free, or use 1/4 cup cashews blended into the non dairy milk below
- 1 Tbsp Jamaican Curry Powder: Recipe below
- 2 cups (488 ml) unsweetened non dairy milk such as almond milk. Use coconut soy for nut-free, cashew milk for richer sauce
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- half a small head of cauliflower sliced into not more than 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 medium yukon or russet potatoes thinly sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup (58.75 ml) water or vegetable broth
Breadcrumb topping: Optional
- 1/3 cup (36 g) breadcrumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more smoked paprika
Jamaican Curry Powder:
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) or more allspice
- a good dash of cinnamon ground nutmeg or clove, ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) lime zest or add 1/2 tsp lime juice after roasting the spices and flour, mix in at Step 2.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add flour and spice blend, lime zest and cook for a minute. If using lime juice, cook the spices and flour until roasted then add the lime juice and mix in for a few seconds.
- Add non dairy milk and mix well. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens. Taste carefully and adjust salt and spice and mix in. You can also fold in some nutritional yeast for cheesier flavor.
- Take off heat. Spread half of the sauce in a baking dish. Or reserve from the cast iron skillet.
- Layer the Cauliflower slices in a non overlapping layer. Or use more potatoes.
- Add a layer of potatoes. Spread the reserved sauce all over. Pour a 1/4 cup water/broth on the edges.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 deg F / 200ºc for 20 minutes.
- Make the breadcrumb mixture by mixing everything in a bowl. Uncover the baking dish, sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on top. Alternatively, Sprinkle some paprika, salt, minced garlic and vegan parmesan.
- Bake another 15 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Use a knife to insert through all layers to check. Bake time depends on the thickness of the potatoes. Sprinkle frersh herbs of choice. Cool for 5 minutes then serve.